Senate Creeps Close To Soft End Of Week Reconciliation ‘Deadline’ | Talking Points Memo

Senate Democrats have been cheerfully saying that they could see a deal on a reconciliation framework coming as soon as Friday. According to our sources, that’s tomorrow. There are still some major sticking points, though progress has happened in leaps and bounds the past couple days.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391602
1 Like

Senate creeps

For once, can we stop talking about Republicans   : - )

14 Likes

This should be the easy part. Require all those electric cars to be powered from Coal power plants.

10 Likes

Is it too much to ask Karma to send a lightning strike to hit Sine-me-me-me-me-ma???

12 Likes

I’ll beat the snarkmeisters with my take on the title, “Senate Creeps”…no…only those against us.

4 Likes

Not that this will change her behavior…but interesting.

26 Likes

Unfortunately, we still need her, republican governor would name her replacement…

15 Likes

I’m of two minds (positive, negative)…the latter would focus on her being a natural oppositional thinker who enjoys being that

3 Likes

You know, I looked that up before I posted that and the gov is required to replace with someone from the same party.

From an article about McCain’s replacement:

Arizona’s Republican governor has few limitations on his choice, according to state law The replacement must be a Republican, as McCain was, and would serve in the U.S. Senate until voters elect a new senator in the next general election.

16 Likes

Well, shit, why didn’t you say so in the first place?

Wanders off to begin rain dance

20 Likes

Well, because you are usually well informed before you shoot your mouth off… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

17 Likes

How very…trumpy.

5 Likes

Based on the way AZ Republicans respect their oaths to support the constitution, I would not be surprised if the Republican governor ignored that.

6 Likes

Sinema’s position has been erroneously portrayed here - and elsewhere - as “opposing any tax increases for the wealthy and corporations”.

That, however, is not my understanding of what her position actually is. My understanding - and I could be wrong - is that she is opposed to any increase in marginal tax rates. There’s a big difference between the two, which is why staff is looking at other ways to get more tax revenue from the same sources, but by measures other than increasing marginal tax rates.

Among the options that staff is apparently looking at is addressing those tax code provisions that tip the code in favor of foreign investment and operations. From my perspective, I think it would be a terrific way to both bring in the cash and to start “urging” American companies to bring their operations back home, especially from China. I think going this route would be both enormously popular and financially beneficial for raising the money that the bill requires.

Now, it might be that Sinema would oppose these measures, as well, but they would - on their face - meet her objections to the tax provisions in the bill, as it was originally conceptualized.

15 Likes

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) used to say that political contributions induced corruption. She was right, she started accepting them and now she will do nothing to upset her donors.

13 Likes

Which is all academic when major corporations pay less in taxes than a minimum-wage McDonald’s employee.

I’d be happy if they were just forced to actually pay the tax rate on the books.

13 Likes

And, unfortunately, the only explanation for Sinema’s positions comes from looking at her donor list. I get no pleasure from saying that either.

10 Likes

Baby steps. It’s a massive improvement over just the other day, when nobody had any clue what her demands were other than “not that”.

10 Likes

So another republican?

7 Likes

Stupid question for today:

If Sinema is truly responsive to her donors, and Arizona has tremendous potential for solar energy (along with high vulnerability to drought and fire from climate change), and we know that venture capital is investing many billions in green tech initiatives, why aren’t the likes of Bill Gates offering Sinema competitively superior contributions to switch to a green stance?

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available