Senate Confirms Amy Coney Barrett, Locking In Conservative Control Of SCOTUS | Talking Points Memo

This is really the third concussion shock from the explosion of notions of fairness and justice, prerequisites of democratic systems. It is not called “rule-of-law” for nothing. With justice now subverted, as Mitch says, for decades to come, the GOP has managed to put us on par with Russia and Cameroon. And without the covid package, we inch daily towards a number that matches that of the number of American lives lost in WWII. A dark day, and one that must be rectified at the ballot box.

10 Likes

I do not believe that I was ever as angry as I was when my wife and I were at a friend’s house during the Democratic Convention in 2016.

This was during the afternoon part when people were strolling down avenues giving answers to questioners betraying zero awareness of the importance of the Courts, and cavalier asnswers about the importance of supporting the Democratic Nominee (whoever he/she may be).

My anger reflected the inability to impress upon people the importance of these things.

Now We Know.

18 Likes

When those justices overstep (as soon as the ACA decision, but even if they’re reined in for that, the overstepping will happen eventually), the Supreme Court will be stormed with protestors like this nation has never seen. I fear for the building actually.

10 Likes

The Devil would like to remind you that, as a simple fallen angel, he’s really not that bad and is undeserving of the company.

Also, Hitler and Stalin, being board members of the Hell Association, have rejected his membership application as dragging down the overall quality of the neighborhood.

7 Likes

Thomas is the living dead and therefore cannot contract COVID at tRumps super spreader party.

Roberts wants no part of this.

5 Likes

this is only temporary. after the election and with a few properly placed lightening bolts our democracy will survive this power grab.
The SCOTUS’s reputation will be destroyed as will some of the judges if they begin to tear this country apart farther than trump already has.
Just a few incidents can make all the difference in our country.
Losing RBG was tragic enough.
getting rid of trump and the gop will be a step in the right direction.
first things first and the rest will follow accordingly.

10 Likes

Dear Mitch: Alito, Thomas and Roberts are old enough to die of Covid 19.

2 Likes

I could be wrong about this, but I really believe that Republicans have finally overplayed their hand and that they are going to pay the price. They have a SupCt majority that is going to kill the ACA, but they don’t actually want to kill the ACA, at least not right now. They have a SupCt majority that is going to o/t Roe v. Wade, but Republicans don’t actually want to o/t Roe. Repubs have used their “pro life” bullshit to motivate religious conservative, but with no Roe there is no motivator. The political costs of overturning the ACA and Roe are going to be swift and significant. Republicants are like the dog that caught the car.

23 Likes
13 Likes

As of this moment, the Roberts court is indelibly tainted.

18 Likes

I say 2 per Circuit. Redundancy is the nature of any important system

7 Likes

Roberts is planning an early retirement. He never signed on to preside over such a shit show.

6 Likes

Robert’s just showing us which judge is the most expendable at this moment in time.

4 Likes

I’ve wondered the same. Wouldn’t that be something?

2 Likes

I’ve read some stuff that makes me question PR as safe D option

4 Likes

His retirement is probably the only way that court expansion loses steam.

It shouldn’t, but I fear it will/would

3 Likes

Barrett is a legal lightweight, quite aside from being a cult-addled wingnut.

You add her IQ to Thomas’s and Kavanaugh’s and you’re approaching Merrick Garland territory.

7 Likes

p.s you POS: So are you (not that age is the only determinant - you deserve it).

That’s a pleasant delusion.

Biden has promised to let court reform die by bi-partisan study group.

GOP and MAGATS might be celebrating tonight, but this will be the last time that they’ll ever be celebrating anything again!!

The GOP has proven once and for all they don’t care about bipartisanship, the American people, or even respecting a dying woman’s final wish!!! All they care about is power!!! McConnell and his kind have destroyed the governing body of this country for generations unless massive changes are made!

After the election, no bipartisanship and no mercy thinking about what if we’re in the minority!! I checked the Senate map for 2022 and there’s no way there are enough Dem seats in battleground states that Republicans can try to pick off. If we have a blue tsunami, we can be locked in for at least 6 years.

We need to go scorched earth in order to save this country and not capitulate to any GOP request. They’ve had their chance and proven they couldn’t give a damn about this country so it’s time that we prove to the everyone that we’re the only party that does!!!

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available