Senate Confirms Amy Coney Barrett, Locking In Conservative Control Of SCOTUS | Talking Points Memo

The Senate confirmed Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court on Monday, making her the third Trump nominee to reach the high court.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340590

Anyone know why Thomas, not Roberts, will swear her in?

7 Likes

The final vote was 52-48, with no Senate Democrat voting in favor of her confirmation and only one Republican voting against it,

What a resounding and clear mandate from the people for Justice Barrett’s consideration. She will need to be reminded every day that she was confirmed by the thinnest majority vote of a corrupt Republican Senate Caucus, having been nominated by the most criminal so-called “president” in America’s history. Now that is something she can be proud of.

34 Likes

Better to send someone expendable?

6 Likes

Roberts doesn’t want to get his hands dirty? Perhaps he does not want his image soiled?

15 Likes

As far as I’m concered there is only one path forward. Let’s do this!

18 Likes

Well they broke the courts, time for reforms.

28 Likes

Amy Coney Barrett got a WELCOME ABOARD tonight.

9 Likes

Probably wants to pass the wingnut baton to his successor.

3 Likes

Was a nice country while it lasted.

Goodbye ACA.

Goodbye Roe.

Goodbye gay marriage.

Goodbye any government oversight of business or the environment.

Goodbye commenting on the internet.

All hail the six overlords.

15 Likes

No surprises here, the Republicans took their best shot at grabbing power while they could. It was irrelevant to them if they were breaking things in order to do it, and that’s something to remember…anytime a Republican says anything about “that’s not how it’s done!” when Democrats do something in the next administration, we have a glaring example to point to in this. It really is shameful that they were so hypocritical, but that’s where they are as a party.

Now, the real question is how quickly the new Republican majority goes to work tearing apart the social fabric of the nation. We’ll get an indication in the upcoming Pennsylvania complaint about the election by Republicans, which I suspect will be a 5-4 decision cutting off the counting of ballots after the election. We’ll see more decisions like that very quickly, every election decision that goes to the Republicans is another mark against the Republican court. Then, on the 10th we get the ACA trial…that’s the big one, the only question being how quickly they will overturn the ACA and how immediate the decision will be. It’s possible Roberts will be able to rein them in somehow, so it’s not a complete destruction of the heath care system…but I don’t see the other 5 Republican judges as interested in restraint in most cases.

And, really, that’s what it’s going to come down to…do they try to grab the brass rings all at once, or try to move slowly and head off the Democratic response that could easily reshape the SC. Honestly, I’m not sure…at least some of them will gladly undo everything back to the Gilded Age if they can, giving us an oligarchy run by racist white men, but others will want to temper that somewhat. It really is going to be something to watch though, considering the way Thomas and Alito are willing to destroy everything that the government does to help people we could be in for a wild ride as they tear apart the government and leave us with a shattered system that Biden and Democrats have to rebuild from scratch.

If they go there, they will find that we’re willing to rebuild it better than it was before, and remove the ability for racist bullies to destroy the fabric of the nation in the service of racists and oligarchs. They may really be screwing themselves with their court packing scheme (both the SC and the federal courts), and find that the American people are willing to undo it through a revolution of the justice system that finally obeys the principles that the nation was founded upon.

49 Likes

“A lot of what we’ve done over the last four years will be undone sooner or later by the next election,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell ® said Sunday during a procedural vote setting up Barrett’s confirmation. “They won’t be able to do much about this for a long time to come.”

Expand the Courts. And press the document legalizing it so far into his necrotic face that it comes out his ass.

Sorry for the graphics, but there are few people I despite whole heartedly than this POS.

And I DEFINTELY want him alive long enough to see his twisted, corrupted vision, collapse in dust. And for people to laugh at him about it for many, many days.

59 Likes

Probably licking their chops here.

20 Likes

All for expanding the court, but I think we should expand the Senate first. Add DC and Puerto Rico. D+4 should grease the wheels for other things too

33 Likes

Believe me, she does not give a crap.

16 Likes

Possibly. I personally think that McAsshole isn’t long for this world. I WANT him to see his “legacy” be nothing. I want that burned into his retinas as he leaves this world.

Its petty. I don’t brag about being a bigger man. But this is what I want.

33 Likes

“A lot of what we’ve done over the last four years will be undone sooner or later by the next election,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell ® said Sunday during a procedural vote setting up Barrett’s confirmation. “They won’t be able to do much about this for a long time to come.”

Nope, it’s going to be a lot faster than you think, yuou goddamned Confederate traitor. It’ll be undone with the new six liberals on the court by the time they start their session next octob er.

19 Likes

That’s “GOP Traitors Confim Submissive Handmaiden Amy” TPM. Please fix the headline.

9 Likes

But you know, the Constitution also provides for the impeachment of judges and justices. And it has been done in the past. Just sayin’ . . .

13 Likes

Precisely. I’m sure her dog is fine with it. Fuck everyone else.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available