Senate Confirms Amy Coney Barrett, Locking In Conservative Control Of SCOTUS | Talking Points Memo

Roberts probably doesn’t want to catch the 'rona.

5 Likes

Am impeached president, about to be voted out of office.

8 Likes

STOP calling her ACB.
She doesn’t deserve any comparison to RBG.
Just STOP

55 Likes

Nope, that honor belongs to Kavanaugh at 51%. Barrett is tied with Thomas at 52%, then Gorsuch at 55% and Alito at 58%.

You have to go back to 1888 to find a Justice with a low enough confirmation vote to break up the Fab Five, Lucius Lamar at 53%.

12 Likes

Because the most junior Justice gets coffee duty, so he wants to relive his heyday of groping underlings.

3 Likes

Anything bad that happens to Moscow Mitch is too good for him

8 Likes

We have until this weekend for early vote. And then we have to show up in great numbers on election day.

I will not dwell on the norms they have shattered. Just the voting. Just the voting. From now until 3 November I will be following that keenly.

I have been heartened by the EV in certain states. We must do all we can.

22 Likes

It’s probably not a reasonable demand that people should abandon the nearly century-old practice of branding political figures who use all three names by their initials – e.g., FDR, JFK, RFK, MLK, LBJ, GWB.

The better objection is that her real name is Justice Handmaid’s Tale. It is disrespectful to call her anything else.

13 Likes

And then on November 4th, the supreme court will rule 6-3 that, as Originalists, all votes from women, minorities, or non-land-owning white males are illegitimate. Plus that all the amendments to the constitution are unconstitutional (except the 2nd).

11 Likes

It’s Amy Covid Barrett.

29 Likes

I was really itching for someone to ask her if she thought the treatment of Merrick Garland was appropriate - because if she did, then she had no business pursuing this nomination, and if she didn’t, she had no business pursuing and accepting the nomination.

12 Likes

Citation? I missed this??

Thanks for enlightening me, but that certainly is a distinctive “club,” But let us remember that the Justice she is replacing was confirmed by a vote of 96%, and her mentor, Justice Scalia was confirmed by a vote of 98%. Kavanaugh, Barrett, Thomas, Gorsuch, and Alito are clearly the “runts” of the Judicial litter.

9 Likes

WaPo was reporting it earlier, don’t have the link handy, but will vouch. Supposed to be at the WH in their next covid party.

3 Likes

“they” … the American people? I know he means Democrats, but really the Senate supposedly represents all of the USA. It’s sad that things have degenerated so much that naked political statements like this at a SC confirmation are just routine.

8 Likes

THIS

13 Likes

Fuck that guy. He can watch from hell.

I’ll take the bird in the hand any time

14 Likes

Why was the Supreme Court changed to 9 justices in 1869?

What was magic about 9? Why not 11? Why not 7?

It’s because in 1869 there were 9 federal appellate circuits.

Today there are 13 circuits (12 regional + Federal Circuit Court of Appeals).

Expand the court.

35 Likes

Not that I doubt folks, but if that is the case, I have to think that is an overt message

Justice Handmaid Amy Tainted Barrett, you should be ashamed.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available