Sen. Kennedy Admits COVID-19 Will Spread Faster If Economy Reopens, Says It Should Reopen Anyway

She has a lot of friends too.

1 Like

They couldn’t organize a one car parade…

1 Like

Yes THIS is the really scary math in the argument: The GOP does not think the cost of NATIONAL TESTING is a cost worth bearing to save lives. They just want to skip that step.

5 Likes

That’s part of their “government should be run like a business” theology. You have to keep the supply chain operating to maintain inventory.

5 Likes

most sapient, cub

I’ve said it before, and I’m sure I’ll say it again:

Always the unborn with these people. Never a thought for the undead.

2 Likes

Caught him right in the middle of an interesting Vanity Fair article about John Paulson’s new home.

3 Likes

Yup. And just to add to your already excellent list, what about clawing back every dollar of 2018 tax cut that was used by corporations for stock buybacks and top executive bonuses? That money could help the unemployed.

4 Likes

For 45*, it’s business as usual.

1 Like

Can’t fix stupid.

1 Like

This pathetic obsession with “reopening the economy” merely underscores how depraved the so-called “right to life” party actually is. Because these putrid fucks do not care about the economy outside of what it means for them politically, as a cover for their abject failure when it comes to anything fiscal, but so they can also say “our wonderful leader saved us!”

Were it the was some media arm of a major political party that could start picking this apart…sigh.

2 Likes

Congress should open first to debate this. All elderly members who do not wish to take the risk should resign. If supermarket workers can take the risk, surely legislators can. They are essential and at least they are well paid and have health insurance. Get them all in PPE on the floor if necessary, leave the staff at home.

If that’s off the table, there’s no way we can open up the rest of the country.

1 Like

What part of “if Trump was even remotely competent and not profoundly mentally ill, the GOP and the economy wouldn’t be in this mess” don’t they understand???

3 Likes

senior care facilities

I’ve said it before, Republicans are becoming more liberal than liberals. Now, it has to do with protecting personal privacy.

Of course, Republican’s real interest is in hiding data, denying the truth, and promoting Trumpism.

3 Likes

Yes, lacking data they think they can deny all. I remember when the first corona deaths in WA happened. Trump said "The people were all really sick with other things. Their families thanked me. It was a relief.’ or something like that.

3 Likes

BINGO!

1 Like

I agree – I94 sucks – all of it!. I’d take the MEGA Bus. When you consider the time it takes sitting in airports, it works out.

No, he’s wrong. What he’s proposing with letting the virus spread faster would swamp the hospitals, especially smaller rural ones. You’d have people dying at home of Covid-19 as well as the usual run of heart attacks and strokes that could otherwise be helped, because all the ICU beds are taken.

That’s what “flattening the curve” is all about. Not reducing the total number of infections we’re going to have, but spreading them out over time to avoid swamping hospitals. Kennedy doesn’t get this. And the economy can withstand it for a while longer. The essential parts of it are running – the electricity is on, water is flowing, food is being supplied to grocery stores (with spot shortages), the cops and firefighters are working.

It’s going to be extremely hard on the “non essential” sectors like restaurant workers, but it won’t last forever. The important thing is to avoid swamping the hospitals.

7 Likes

He does remind some people of Pat Buttram as Mr. Haney.

2 Likes

The true “death panels” that the Teabaggers were whining about.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available