Sen. Kennedy Admits COVID-19 Will Spread Faster If Economy Reopens, Says It Should Reopen Anyway

On Wednesday night, Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) conceded that the COVID-19 outbreak will accelerate if the U.S. reopens its economy right now, but he argued it needs to reopen anyway.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1304162
1 Like

“We’ve gotta reopen,” the GOP senator said.
“And when we do, the coronavirus is going to spread faster,” he continued.
“And we’ve got to be ready for it.”
“This isn’t a question of not valuing life,” he insisted.
“This is a question of making a hard decision with the cold, hard facts.”

What hard facts is he talking about?

Is it a hard fact for the Greed-Over-People Party that Trump tied his re-election to the stockmarket?

Or is it a hard fact for the GOP that their donors are breathing down on their necks to re-open biz?

Or the hard facts that for the GOP aka RethugniCON Party…is OK to KAG (Kill American Geriatrics) for Wallstreet $$$?

Those Trump Swamp Vultures & TrumpCrimeFamily with their coffin trademark, cannot wait for the curve to flatten…

Trump-EconVulture-Reopen

43 Likes

And this Goober is supposed to be one of the few “intelligent” ones in the GOP?

Ha!

35 Likes

GOP = American DeathEaters Party

8 Likes

The cold hard fact is that cold hard cash is god less mighty.

13 Likes

I was just about to write “and he’s one of the smart ones, right?” but now I don’t have to.

I wonder if he is willing to travel from town to town, up-close, person to person, to make his case.

38 Likes

When it comes to mammon versus people, mammon wins out every time with these things.

17 Likes

These guys are absolutely brilliant. He’s ok with more people getting infected and dying, as long as he’s not one of them.
And, equating belief in Bigfoot to opening business when the virus has stopped really is a fabulous comparison. Guess you can count me in on still believing in Bigfoot.

22 Likes

So did anyone ask the good Senator what he’s doing to reduce that probability?

Any legislation to bring testing equipment into the country so that more people can be tested?

How about legislation to manufacture more PPE and get it to the health care workers on the front lines?

How about legislation to get more folks into good health insurance, so that this doesn’t personally bankrupt them or cost them their homes?

How about re-opening some of the rural hospitals that have closed and paying for that, so there are more places to go get treated?

I’m getting mighty tired of the right offering platitudes, but no solutions to just HOW we re-open the country when, up to now, the response has been less than anemic and useless.

@psyclone

53 Likes

For the GOP he wins. Kennedy has earned a place in Hell.

7 Likes

Says the slick Senator from the safety of his home…because he isn’t at HIS job right now!!

27 Likes

“This isn’t a question of not valuing life,” he insisted. “This is a question of making a hard decision with the cold, hard facts.”

Sort of like when a woman makes the decision to have an abortion…

84 Likes

And you can add Rep. Trey Hollingsworth to that list as well. He made similar arguments.

14 Likes

New Orleans Parish has the highest C-19 infection rate in the U.S. He wants to raise it.

29 Likes

58 Likes

But don’t make any “sophomoric accusations” that the Republican lawmaker doesn’t care about life, okay?

Ladies and gentlemen, the GOP. Your “pro life” party…

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4:

35 Likes

Ok, I’ll do it, but only after the GOP members of Congress go back to work for the next 4 weeks and we see what happens.

22 Likes

I hear you. Lead by example: reopen the Senate, recall all staff and take away any restrictions for public access, meet with all petitioners and lobbyists.

31 Likes

Are you saying they should put their money where their mouths are? Why, they could die!

13 Likes

"The Smart Person Accepts. The Idiot Insists."

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available