Sen. Kennedy Admits COVID-19 Will Spread Faster If Economy Reopens, Says It Should Reopen Anyway

Didn’t he have a recurring role on The Andy Griffith Show?

10 Likes

Get COVID and die, ignoramus.

4 Likes

You know – I woke up this morning thinking to myself, “I wonder what the nihilists are thinking about today?”

Well, here you go: Senator Kennedy gets the gold star for the day. One in twenty who contract the disease die.

20 Likes

It will be a natural selection enforced Terms Limits…

5 Likes

Ron Johnson, watch your back. You’ve got competition.

15 Likes

Preserve these words
Demanding that people be subjected to increased risk and refusing to provide protections / precautionary measures … is textbook negligence … for which he & other need to be held accountable.

This is like knowing full well that the town water supply is hugely contaminated with lead … but ignoring it … opposing corrective action & just arguing tha people gotta drink…

19 Likes

Wait! No. He was on Green Acres, right??

7 Likes

What does “open the economy” mean, anyway? Flip the giant Economy On/Off switch on the wall of the Oval Office?

23 Likes

Caught this last night at least my Governor Murphy of New Jersey,Tucker was trying to shoot holes in the Governors social distancing and other policies he has in place here in New Jersey. One in particular he (carlson) kept hammering on was no church gatherings but liquor stores being open and considered essential businesses.Then they brought on (clutching my pearls )Kennedy.Turned off at that point. I took one for the team sitting through that nonsense.

13 Likes

Yes, but I think Ron Johnson holds a rather commanding lead.

9 Likes

I keep waking up in a Coen Brothers film.

23 Likes

So your pro-choice now as well? That’s some twisted pretzel logic for party of death…er…life…er…death… Whatever.

3 Likes

Remember when the Republicans were afraid Obama was going to kill grandma? Well, they needed her alive so they could kill her.

28 Likes

“And when we do, the coronavirus is going to spread faster,” he continued. “And we’ve got to be ready for it.”

And how do we do that?

18 Likes

Well, I believe #MoscowMitch is an old guy and a grandpa, so he’s expendable, ripe sacrificial material according to his GOOPer colleagues.

Let’s put him and Grassley and a couple more oldies in there and wait to see if they pop off before sending everybody else in.

12 Likes

“Open the economy” means spread the blame from trump to all of these business leaders invited to be on this patched together economic council.

6 Likes

One thing I’ve certainly learned since 2016, when a radical party becomes a cult, you can forget about thinking there are certain lines they won’t cross. He’s being quite explicit: Better the economy should hum than that we keep people alive and make sure we’ve put the fire out before we rebuild. And he’s going even further than that, because he knows we’re not “ready for it,” we’re nowhere near ready for it. He’s talking about straight-up preventable mass death to keep the robber barons from having a few bad quarters. He’s as frank as the Nazis were about what they want and who pays the price. They don’t mind doing it and they’re not fussy about saying it. I didn’t see that coming, back in my innocent days four years ago.

ETA I’m not sure if he knows the economy can’t, in fact, just “open up” without this problem being resolved in some way. I suspect he does. Maybe sometimes you just feel you have to be the voice of the “let it wash through anyway” faction, even if you acknowledge that many people, as Dr. Fauci pointed out, will die. Have to admit that some of these attitudes are difficult to comprehend.

52 Likes

"Kennedy asserted that those who believe that businesses ought to remain closed until the spread stops "

My take with the shut downs has been it is to flatten the curve. I am not sure if I heard anyone say that stopping business would actually stop the spread. There is a nuance problem with the Republican’s view point on what exactly is happening and the results from closure.

6 Likes

We’ve gotta reopen

It’s the only chance tRump has of getting re-elected… it WILL backfire, but what other choice does the CoviDJiT have

7 Likes

A very basic question-what does re-open mean? South Dakota never shut down, yet the pork plant there is shut. Why? Because the workers are sick and you can’t run the plant without them and even if you get new workers, the risks of customers getting sick from the product are too severe. Many companies actually acted before even the most vigilant of governors. Is Sen Kennedy going to take on the liability when people start getting sick and businesses are sued as Typhoid Mary’s?

The bottom line is that business can continue to function if they put in place safe practices-testing (watch for businesses to contract for their own testing), masks, staggering shifts so workers can maintain distance. That is where we are for the foreseeable future.

27 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available