Sen. Brown Presses Mnuchin, ‘How Many Workers Should Give Their Lives’ For The Dow? | Talking Points Memo

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) took the treasury secretary to task on Tuesday for the Trump administration’s efforts to keep facilities such as slaughterhouses open without sufficient worker protections.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1309861
1 Like

All of them - they’re expendable, replaceable, and don’t vote Republican, anyway.

35 Likes

“How many deaths? Senator, please,” he said. “Everyone knows we only count dollars.”

34 Likes

Mr. Mnuchin, can you please characterize the economic effect of 1.5M (soon to be 2M) people with complications from having been infected with Covid-19?

Hint: it’s bigger than the temporary effect of closing down the economy.

No, the broken window fallacy will not save you with sales of dialysis machines.

21 Likes

Funny thing about golden calves…they always seem to get around d to demanding blood sacrifice…

https://images.app.goo.gl/69miWsojwHn5UW396

29 Likes

This is the enormous risk the Republicans are running. They should be insisting on PPE and social distancing in every workplace. As it is they are insisting companies be granted Covid19 protection from workers comp and customer lawsuits.

My concern is Brown’s line of inquiry won’t be picked up by Democrats generally. Start shouting elected Democrats. Sherrod Brown is leading you.

42 Likes

“Essential workers” are now to be officially known as “sacrificial workers”. They’re heroes, you know.

28 Likes

Good on Brown for pressing the questions AND for cutting off the DT ass kissing.

32 Likes

Answer: “All of them if required.”

Mnuchin firmly believes in the “Divine Right of Shareholders” to profit off of any and all occurrences.

If a large number of Serfs die in the process, well, that’s just “God’s Plan” for them. If they wanted to live they should have been born rich.

After all, that is why God created the “unwashed masses”. To serve at the feet of God’s chosen “Shareholders”, who sit at God’s right hand.

Here is Mnuchin (and Trump’s) only real God;

28 Likes

Elizabeth Warren cut Munchkin a new one too.

28 Likes

Seems like a fair question to me…too bad Mr. Mnuchin won’t answer it. Damn, I despise this guy.

19 Likes

Funny how the essential workers are also the most expendable, ill-used, and paid the least with the fewest benefits.

Explain it to me again, please.

28 Likes

Sen Brown is one of the most underrated senators in congress

41 Likes

Even this far in, I am sometimes still surprised by the jaw-dropping, callous, reckless cruelty of this maladministration.

They’re cutting the Guard off at 89 days of deployment. At 90 days, retirement and education GI Bill benefits would kick in.

Adding a quick little excerpt:

The looming loss of crucial frontline workers, along with questions about whether the administration is shortchanging first responders, would require a delicate messaging strategy, the official — representing FEMA’s New England region — told dozens of colleagues on the interagency call.

Messaging strategy. Messaging strategy!!

40 Likes

“Support the troops!”

“We don need no steeenkin OPTICS!”

6 Likes

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something answer a question, when his salary depends on his not understanding answering it.”

(With apologies to Upton Sinclair)

16 Likes

Man, if he were the one up against Orange man, it would not be a contest. Sherrod would eat him up. Instead Joe Biden. Oy.

4 Likes

But who, then, shall guard us from the potatoes?

29 Likes

Why ask Mnuchin?
He like anyone who backs Trump simply does not care.

5 Likes

I was really disappointed when he decided not to run for the nomination.

8 Likes