SCOTUS Takes Trump Immunity Case For Late April Arguments - TPM – Talking Points Memo

The Supreme Court will hear Donald Trump’s claim that he is immune from prosecution over his effort to stay in power after losing the 2020 election.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482001
1 Like

uffda

15 Likes

Why the wait :thinking:

Does Clarence need more time to assess the cash value of his verdict?

53 Likes

……Why?!

Are they actually considering giving Trump full immunity? Or is this just their way of intentionally delaying the Jan 6 trial?

71 Likes

This court is an abject failure and an utter disgrace.

77 Likes

Dictator Trump will do away with the Supreme Court.
They do know that, right?

42 Likes

Headline should be “Supreme Court Takes Trump Side to Continue Delay Tactic”

56 Likes

So if the SC upholds this, we just have Biden shoot Trump in the face and it’s all good right?

68 Likes

Does this mean that at least 5 justices wanted to hear the case? How many is the minimum?

12 Likes

I fear it will be both. The trial is indefinitely delayed. Trump got exactly what he wanted from the court. I am sickened.

69 Likes

This is a travesty. There is no way that the court is going to eventually rule that presidents have immunity from criminal prosecution because then Joe Biden will enjoy the same immunity but apparently they are happy to draw this out until after the election. I hope the desperation that this reveals in Mango Mussolini seriously harms his reelection prospects. It is unfair to the citizenry that justices is being delayed so long.

66 Likes

Weissmann is putting July as the best-case earliest possible Chutkin trial date. He is really worried that SCOTUS could delay more, or even pocket-veto.

34 Likes

So they didn’t take it up when Smith asked them to and delayed things more than a month by sending it to the DC circuit. Now they do take it up after the DC circuit provided as detailed and airtight a ruling as possible. Even when they rule against Trump’s immunity (which they will), they’ve already given him that immunity by means of deliberate delay until the election that Trump will steal. Cynical, sure, but man, you gotta respect the neatness of the trick.

67 Likes

I got a bad feeling about this……:confused::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

27 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ! What a load of fucking horseshit. If it was a Democratic President (Or former President), those ideological hacks would declare “NO IMMUNITY!” faster than you could say ‘judicial corruption.’ But different rules apply to Republicans.

58 Likes

I had a similar question. Does the question of taking up a case always hinge on whether (some) justices think the case has merit per se, or can it be informed by whether they simply think it’s a case that requires setting a precedent?

I realize these are hopelessly naieve questions about how things are actually supposed to work given the current court.

7 Likes

I tend to agree. I don’t think that it would have been taken up unless at least 5 of the six cons were prepared to agree with Trump.

25 Likes

That the full immunity claim is even being considered, tells how corrupt this country has become. Not even the Venezuelan Supreme Court are as officious.

Whatever they rule doesn’t matter, they are giving Trump the much needed delay. Trump will be reelected, because Americans are stupid, and he will then proceed to quash all investigations.

February 28th, 2024. That is when the democratic experiment of America ended. And all it took was some luxury vacations and a RV.

51 Likes

This is a bad sign.

42 Likes

Dirty rotten stinking sons of bitches.

30 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available