SCOTUS Rules Constitutions’ DQ Clause Can’t Keep Trump Off Ballot - TPM – Talking Points Memo

I’m not sure I’d say it was just about the Civil War, but you’re certainly right that, at the time the 14th was passed, everybody involved knew damn well what “insurrection” looked like, because they’d recently seen it up close and personal, over the sights of their guns.

10 Likes

I’m less concerned that they will rule with TFG’s ridiculous immunity arguments outright but that they will slow walk it to provide him de facto immunity by not ruling quickly.

But as has been noted, the DOJ rule about charging candidates within 90 days of an election does not say an already indicted candidate can’t be tried during that period… cue the whinging from TFG’s camp.

20 Likes

Edit: . . . from those who are and/or know no better than to vote for Dump.

1 Like

Laws? We don’t need no stinking laws.

3 Likes

Thanks for that!

And by its decision, the Court has (in its own way) encouraged us to vote … and to donate, and to volunteer, and to win big, and then to pass much-needed legislation (that they can then try to strike down).

10 Likes

Although I would have loved to see the Orange Asshole (and draft dodger) thrown off every ballot in the country, I have to admit that I don’t think that winners and losers should be picked by anyone other than voters.

4 Likes

We need term limits, enforceable code of ethics, and expansion of the court. Look at all the damage that’s been caused since 2000.

15 Likes

Someone who’s better than me, said it best: Congress had two opportunities to dq Trump.

The failure to do either is on modern Republicans.

11 Likes

Good luck

If the court had ruled that it was ok to kick T off the ballot, wouldn’t Alabama already be setting up an execution chamber for IVF users ?
States Rights !!

Now…
Rule that presidents are not immune to prosecution.

Anyone who’s still waiting for the cavalry to ride in and save you I have five words: Get off your fat ass.

No one, I repeat NO ONE IS COMING TO RESCUE US. We either put these motherfuckers in prison or they will put us in prison. There’s a rhythm to the idiocy of fascism. Every 80 years or so, just when the last generation that defeated it is gone, people get that same fucking bright idea to enslave the world. This is our time to stand up so stop looking to the courts or a fast food heart attack to rescue you. The problem is not Fat Boy. it’s the 70MM people who think he’s awesome and being enslaved in a fascist theocracy is an awesome idea.

7 Likes

Feels to me most of the discouraging things that pop up on our radar are the result of disinformation. The ‘Biden is old’ trope seems to be bringing older voters to Joe’s side. With that and Dobbs, and the drumbeat of primary-voting Repubs who will refuse/abstain in November?

That as long as turnout is huge-- as it was in '20-- Biden-Harris will win a second term.

9 Likes

How perverse is it that the rational expectation and implication is that Republicans would use such power unethically.

11 Likes

Read their “concurrence.” It is anything but comity. As Steve Vladeck noted, while it was unanimous on the actual question -should individual states be allowed to DQ a presidential candidate, it was 5-4 due to the concurrences which reamed the majority for going to far.

4 Likes

scotusblog has a link to the opinion and it seems pretty airtight, Much more interested in seeing how they rule on “immunity.”

8 Likes

What it says:
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

What it actually means:
Should the insurrectionist’s party hold a majority in the House of Representatives, or at least 40 seats in the Senate, all of the above may be waived as null and void.

8 Likes

2 out of 3 can happen w/o amending the constitution. But won’t happen without leadership on the issue…

3 Likes

Interesting bit from Norm Eisen.

Yes the Supreme Court ruled for Trump based on only Congress having the power to enforce the 14th amendment

But just as important as what they did is what they didn’t do

They did NOT expressly challenge that he was an insurrectionist—& the concurrence emphasizes that finding.

22 Likes

Classic!

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available