SCOTUS Rules Constitutions’ DQ Clause Can’t Keep Trump Off Ballot - TPM – Talking Points Memo

The Supreme Court forced the state of Colorado to keep Donald Trump on the presidential ballot after the state’s Supreme Court found that the Constitution’s Disqualification Clause barred him from running for office.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482311
1 Like

Cowards.

15 Likes

Well, damn those traitors…but no surprise.

7 Likes

Good News, Republican judges can’t DQ Biden in retaliation…

41 Likes

Failed at your first attempt to overthrow the US government and you’re a Republican?

Try, try again!

21 Likes

This was expected.

22 Likes

So much for “textualism” and honoring the Constitution. This opens the door to violate every clause. At least, if you’re a Republican.

21 Likes

No more talk of liberal justices, please.

7 Likes

The only question left is the reasoning…

@txlawyer. How fast can you read? Haha

3 Likes

Cue “The Sky is Falling” rhetoric when, objectively this is probably the only legitimate ruling we’ll get from them this year…

15 Likes

Ridiculous.

4 Likes

Completely expected, and as it was issued “per curiam” no one objected. The holding was that Congress must pass some legislation to make the Fourteenth stick. They also noted that the states could bar someone from state office, just not the Presidency. I’m much more concerned that they will overturn the DC Circuit on immunity, that made-up Presidential privilege.

18 Likes

Bingo.

If they had upheld it, by end of day at least half the States would’ve seen lawsuits challenging Biden’s name on ballots, and we wouldn’t even have to worry about what happens on election Day because he’d be knocked out of the running in enough that Trump would already have won.

The outcome here is the right one.

57 Likes

The Court has ruled that in a democracy, voters are free to elect someone to the presidency whose stated goals and actions are aimed at destroying that democracy. In other words, the Court will not save us from ourselves…

38 Likes

The alternative would have been worse.

There’s no “one weird trick” to make everything all nice and okay when roughly half of the voting public in a democracy thinks that trying to overturn elections is actually cool and good. You need to defeat the stain at the ballot box.

23 Likes

I have no problem with this. If they had empowered states to do this, red states would DQ Democrats at every opportunity. We have seen how much evidence they need for impeachment.

My current fear concerns the republican house refusing to seat newly elected dems after the election (as Johnson is doing with Santos’ replacement now), then refusing to count enough electoral votes that the election is thrown into the reduced, republican house. Strictly legal coup.

10 Likes

This is a good thing in this context

The 14th Amendment was flawed (IMO), in not defining insurrection closely enough, because at the time it was just assumed everyone would know it was about the Civil War. That’s flaw #1.

Flaw #2 is that it said a supermajority of both houses of Congress could vote to restore the ability for someone to run for office even if they were an insurrectionist. So it was never an absolute, clear-cut ban. I haven’t read the opinion but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is what the court leaned on to punt it back to Congress.

9 Likes

Suozzi has been sworn in.

34 Likes

It’s up to us– to ‘DQ’ TSF from holding office.

Everybody up for this?

23 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available