SCOTUS Rules Constitutions’ DQ Clause Can’t Keep Trump Off Ballot - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Maybe I live in a different political universe, but the presidential elections I see are a series of state wide votes. There is no singular presidential election.

12 Likes

So how would the DQ clause actually ever be invoked?
What is insurrection? - who say what it is?

Does this clause simply get reduced to the equivalent of some lame ass “corporate credo”?

2 Likes

The Founders didn’t write the 14th Amendment, doncha’ know!

3 Likes

Not cowards: bought.

14 Likes

Exactly. It would have been chaos if a state Attorney General could arbitrarily decide to ban someone from a national Presidential ballot. It has some stink on it because it helps Trump, but it was still a good call.

13 Likes

I’m shocked.

Congress.

Which is much better than a judge in Texas being able to declare that Biden going to church every week violates separation of church and state and thus he’s engaged in rebellion/insurrection and is hereby disqualified.

Or a pick a reason-- because they certainly would.

27 Likes

Thanks! This may be the only good news we get this week.

3 Likes

Sadly the liberals have decided that comity is more important than doing the right thing.

5 Likes

Dude was sworn in. Johnson’s excuse earlier was that the house was in reccess.

4 Likes

No surprise from this court. Hugely disappointed in Kagan, Jackson and Sotomayor. It’s okay for states to decide and enforce Women’s Healthcare but it’s not okay for the states to decide and enforce the US constitution when it comes to keeping proven traitors/insurrectionists off their ballots. Democracy is already dead in this country.

13 Likes

I enjoy the delusional idea that this is going to make people hate the court less. Ugh.

3 Likes

Well, we are. But the herds of morons who haven’t noticed (or don’t care that) the big orange thing wants to be the first American dictator – they think Biden is old and stuff. The question is whether we can defeat that kind of mass stupidity and ignorance. Feels an awful lot like a coin flip right now. Might as well start digging our bunkers just in case.

6 Likes

You are right.

Exactly. If it doesn’t apply in this situation then there is no situation where it would apply.

2 Likes

My friend, I read this more than two decades ago in Con Law II. And now, I shall go find the actual opinion that no doubt confirms the Reconstruction Amendments are toothless unless Congress passes legislation to enforce them.

ETA: The liberal wing’s concurrence is stupid and bad. They appear to want to prevent the states from disqualifying candidates for president simply because that would create a patchwork of ballot access to national office. SFW? That’s just federalism. There is nothing textual about that approach to section 3. Boo hoo, trump might not be on the ballot in Colorado, and Biden might not be on the ballot in MAGAstan.

18 Likes

BREAKING NEWS:

Calling Balls And Strikes, SCOTUS Walks Another Batter After Three Pitches

15 Likes

Flashback to BLM for those who are questioning the call today and whether it’s the right one. Trump could’ve ensured that millions of people could never run for office all on his own:

Trump Aides Prepared Insurrection Act Order During Debate Over Protests https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/us/politics/trump-insurrection-act-protests.html

6 Likes

No. Democracy is us voting out the bastards – and that’s exactly what we’re gonna do in November!

50 Likes

"All nine Justices agree on the outcome of this case. That is the message Americans should take home.” Sorry, lady. The message I’m taking home is that Trump tried to overthrow the government, which by the plain language of the constitution bars him from holding further office, and SCOTUS just ignored that plain language and gave him a pass.

Democracy dies when no one in power cares about keeping it alive anymore.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available