Scott Deflects On Whether GOPers Should Condemn White Nationalism

NRSC chair Sen. Rick Scott’s (R-FL) on Sunday repeatedly deflected when pressed on whether Republican leaders should condemn white nationalism.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1415898

Deflect?
NRSC chair Sen. Rick Scott’s (R-FL) on Sunday repeatedly deflected when pressed on whether Republican leaders should condemn white nationalism.

if Scott repeatedly refused to condemn White nationalism then he supports it.
He supports racism straight up.
Scott says…
“We have to stop asking people on government forms for their skin color. We ought to judge people by their character, not, you know, not their skin color,” Scott said. “So, we’ve got to figure out how to bring people together.”
… … …
I think he is paying lip service to Dr King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. I doubt he really believes his own comment.

32 Likes

A reply right out of the 1850s.

6 Likes

Fox, cornered in henhouse, claims to be incubating the eggs.

20 Likes

Scott is a grotesque among grotesques. He says he opposes White Supremacy. But White Nationalism?

Hey, he says, I’m against hate.

Bullshit. Scott is a racist and a fascist. End of story.

13 Likes

Scott said. “But I can tell you I’m clear.”

Exactly what the heck does he mean? Clear of what?

12 Likes

Allergies I suppose.

2 Likes

Is he a Scientologist? That’s something they aspire to - going clear.

20 Likes

"Upon the advice of my Consultants I must decline to answer that question on the grounds that identifies at least haf of my supporters as open racists.

The other half, of course, are in the closet"

18 Likes

Yes. And furthermore:

“Oh, if they asked me, I would say be clear. Be clear."

He’s willing to foist upon incoming senators an 11-point plan for governing (that includes raising taxes and threatening safety-net programs) that McConnell has already very loudly deep-sixed, but in the matter of speaking against racism and white nationalism, he’ll only do so “if they asked me”? Which of these should by rights be the easier thing to speak to?

11 Likes

Bet it’s crowded in there…

8 Likes

They’ve always been a “big closet” party.

26 Likes

His ilk believes strongly in the moral philosophy of one-sentence Martin Luther King. The actual Dr. King, not so much.

14 Likes

Not to excuse Rick Scott’s answer, but Margaret Brennan gave him an opportunity to deflect it by asking such a convoluted question.

If she had just stopped at “Do you personally think it’s important for political leaders, in particular in your party, to condemn white nationalism, …,” then Scott would have been challenged to directly answer a yes or no question.

But she kept going, citing polling data in the same sentence to lay the foundation for her question. She should have laid the foundation first, then asked a simple, stark question that has only one correct answer.

27 Likes

Scott doesn’t want to be caught on tape decrying a key segment of the Republican base.

22 Likes

O Bazinga! That’s really apt - the big closet party.

11 Likes

In more ways than one

3 Likes

"Christ, what an asshole." – Lucy van Pelt

11 Likes

Skeletor! Whenever I see Rick Scott I see SKELETOR. Just not blue.

4 Likes

I don’t know him well enough to hang that around his neck, but, BUT I’m damn he sure is tone deaf. He’s trying not to piss off the white nationalists/supremacists voters.
And I love how he is still trying to push his “rescue America” plan that McConnell told him to ixnay on the plan. I wonder how we can ramp this up to internecine warfare?

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available