Schumer Hammers That Republicans Are Gearing Up To Block All Debate On Major Voting Bill

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) is preparing to bring the For the People Act to the floor Tuesday, the first push of the legislation that will almost certainly run straight into the filibuster buzzsaw. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378506

It’s pretty on brand for Republicans. Can’t talk about sex education, kids will want to have sex. Can’t talk about racism, because it doesn’t exist any more and would be unfair. Can’t talk about voting guns because it is “too soon.” Can’t talk about voting because people might want to vote.

34 Likes

Kill the filibuster. Period. Stop

28 Likes

"more testing leads to more cases’

18 Likes

OT-just saw this on the Twitters. I’m intrigued (you probably have to click on the link to read the details).

5 Likes

OT…

Trump admin lawyers having trouble finding jobs post-Jan. 6. Violins shrink to quantum level

27 Likes

Does anyone besides me think that the worst outcome tomorrow is for one or two Republicans to vote with the Democrats and thus prop up the Manchin/Sinema delusion that, in time, enough bipartisan collegiality will see voting reform pass?

11 Likes

“So as usual, all eyes will be on Manchin…”

Pretty sure that’s his goal.

(And I know it’s Sinema’s.)

31 Likes

Or at the bare minimum force the minority to come up with 40 votes to sustain a filibuster. The work should be on those trying to kill legislation. All we have is system that perpetuates obstruction and rewards laziness within our Senate political class.

A true meritocracy that U S of America is.

19 Likes

As best as I can tell, the current reactionaries long for the Antebellum.
Barring that unlikelihood, they seem enthused at attempting to revisit their post-Reconstruction victories.

7 Likes

Has Schumer made clear that – if the Senate proceeds to debate on the bill – he will allow both Democrats and Republicans to offer amendments?

5 Likes

It’s not just this bill, Schumer… ANY bill will get an automatic NO!!1!!!3@!!!

8 Likes

Schumer needs to schedule this vote over and over and over and over. Then break the bill up into component bills and bring them to the floor and make the GQP vote against every single item that the majority of voters want. Make #MoscowMitch have to go to the podium to complain over and over and over. MAKE THIS PAINFUL.

43 Likes

When the simple vote to begin debate garners zero GOP votes, it will signal whether Joe Manchin is play-acting this whole thing, or is actually seeking good-faith debate and bipartisanship.

How Manchin allows Mitch to continue to treat him like his own private whipping boy is bordering on pathological.

11 Likes

Yes – why not? GQP can’t get 51 on anything substantive and Dems can get 51 with VP Harris on board.

1 Like

It could be that 100% of the American public wants something… the Goobers will still say no. A flat no. It could be a bill granting total autocratic control to trump and if a democrat offered it McConnell would table it or reject it out of hand cuz it came from a democrat.
The Goobers are the party of NO.
It used to be one party would rein in the excesses of the other. They’d cooperate and reach a compromise. Not anymore.

8 Likes

I’ll take Bernie in Senate over Joe Manchin any day and twice on Sunday.

27 Likes

Right now if I got a Medicare Advantage plan I’d end up using more than my retirement pension and Social Security income to pay for the “advantage” insurance. That’s why I cannot afford it.
but don’t get me wrong… I like the idea.
We are not wealthy… we hafta budget carefully.

10 Likes

But hearing, seeing, and eating is a privilege…how dare they offer it to the plebeians

9 Likes

REQUESTED RELIEF

WHEREFORE, Plaintiff [End Citizens United PAC] requests that this Court [UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA]:

(1) Declare that the FEC’s dismissal of Plaintiff’s administrative complaint was arbitrary, capricious, and contrary to law under 52 U.S.C. §30109(a)(8)(A);

(2) Order the FEC to conform with this declaration within 30 days, pursuant to 52 U.S.C. §30109(a)(8)(C);

(3) Award Plaintiff its costs and reasonable attorney’s fees incurred in this action; and

(4) Grant such other relief as the Court may deem just and proper.

Edited to fix another stupid TPM autocorrect

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available