Schumer Hammers That Republicans Are Gearing Up To Block All Debate On Major Voting Bill

I’m gonna file this one under: Headlines I expected to see on November 4, 2020

1 Like

I think it would be amusing to watch Ron Johnson try to get an actual job away from the government if nobody knew he was an elected person.

6 Likes

Under the current filibuster rules it would require 41 votes to sustain the filibuster (60-40 ends it).

6 Likes

Unfortunately, he is already rich so probably doesn’t care if he can’t get other work.

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand… Are you saying that:

Schumer has announced that he will allow DEM and GOP to offer amendments?

Or that you think he should allow them to offer amendments?

(Majority leaders sometimes “fill the amendment tree” to effectively prevent hostile amendments.)

1 Like

I have a Medicare Advantage plan that doesn’t cost me anything - it also includes two annual dental cleanings, an annual eye checkup, and I haven’t checked on hearing. I’m confused what it would cost you - perhaps in meds? I have very few and they’re old (and free).

6 Likes

OT but we should not forget the harm insurrectionists did to their fellow Americans.

17 Likes

OT

20 Likes

My own particular Alternate Reality Phantasy is that Manchin votes “No” on everything, but one or two Repubs cross over to take his place (most likely in my fevered dreams is Murcowski from Alaska) and voila, we’re off to the races. Manchin is politely told to uck foff, Alaska gets an actual road from the coast to their capital and everyone who deserved to be gets to be happy.

9 Likes

It has kind of felt like people have forgotten that Sinema has exactly as much power as Manchin to doom democracy.

5 Likes

The path forward is sitting right in front of the Dems. The issue is Manchin’s political will to take it. It will be a win-win if he does:

Step 1 - Schumer brings up a motion to change the filibuster threshold to ‘start’ debate on S1 from 60 to 51 votes. The Senate President (person sitting in the Chair) challenges the motion on behalf of the Senate. Schumer moves to vote to override the challenge with 50 votes + VP. Then they vote to start debate by simple majority.

The benefits of this step are (1) It ends an abuse of the filibuster. Seriously, you can’t even start debate without getting 60 votes?, (2) It still preserves the filibuster to end debate, (3) It signals to McConnell the Dems’ willingness to kill off the filibuster on an on demand, as needed basis. That changes McConnell’s political calculus.

Step 2: Give Manchin a limited window to negotiate a bipartisan deal on S1. With the 50 Dems backing the start of debate, Manchin now has actual power to negotiate a deal because the GOP will now know that if they don’t negotiate in good faith, the Dems have a credible threat to pass what they want without their help.

Step 3: When the GOP refuses to negotiate, Schumer moves to end debate on S1, makes a motion to change the cloture (filibuster) vote threshold from 60 to 51 votes, gets all of his folks on board + VP to uphold the Majority Leader’s decision against a challenge.

Step 4: Pass S1 by simple majority w/VP.

43 Likes

I could live with that.

1 Like

Reform the filibuster to be a 51-vote threshold and require opposition to debate on the floor as well as 40 members of their party present to maintain a filibuster.

They can cry all they want about the supposed tradition (even though that’s a bald ass lie) and we can get down to actually legislating for a change.

10 Likes

It’s a nice path, but I doubt it’s going to be what we see.

6 Likes

He already has experience as a Russian whore on his resume.

2 Likes

And that at least half a dozen Republicans have the corresponding power to save it. I suspect we’ll soon find out if any of them are redeemable…

6 Likes

Well the orcs would never ever pay attention to something a black woman said.

5 Likes

From the last line I’m going to assume that this was a female officer.

17 Likes

That’s what I thought and he sounds like a serial abuser of women. He is scum.

Ryan Samsel, Rioter Who Gave Capitol Cop a Concussion, Has Horrific History of Beating Women (thedailybeast.com)

15 Likes

Hacks usually face these issues in any reputable profession…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available