Schiff Preempts And Rebuts Likely Team Trump Arguments

Towards the end of the proceedings Friday night, lead impeachment manager Adam Schiff (D-CA) laid out predictions of what he thinks President Donald Trump’s lawyers will argue Saturday, rebutting them as he went.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1286859

Preemptive strike.

Kudos.

14 Likes

In sum, he urged his audience to be prepared for Trump’s lawyers to convey that “the President can do whatever he wants” and that there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

To allow such an intellectually and emotionally stunted man write their political obituary for them demonstrates their own lack of self-awareness. It also demonstrates Republican senators’ criminal complicity.

26 Likes

I predict Trump is removed 100-0.

7 Likes

Schiff’s presentations will be in all the textbooks on rhetoric and legal argument.

20 Likes

Trump’s allies will be in prison, too.

7 Likes

I was driving home from work when I heard him on the radio talking about moral courage and RFK’s line that it is rarer that courage on the battlefield. I assume it is the same speech. Either way, it was best politician’s speech in my lifetime. (I’m old enough to have been around for JFK’s inaugural.) When I got home, I sat in my driveway riveted to the radio till the end. If our democracy survives, my great grandchildren will be reading it in school.

33 Likes

I don’t know where Schiff lives, but he’s living it up rent-free in Trump’s head tonight!

16 Likes

I was typing something similar while you were posting this.

8 Likes

As Adam Schiff has pointed out to the GOP, who is next one Trump will sell out.
Thirtyfour of our Troops have been thrown under the bus because they only had headaches.
If they were loyal to Trump they would say nothing was wrong and he would not have to answer for his stupidity.
If he is willing to sell out our military, you stupid fucking Senators might be next.

13 Likes

I know this was rhetorical rather than serious, but I think it is Burbank, California.

4 Likes

That was, for me, the most remarkable stretch of oratory I’ve ever heard.

Adam Schiff is a remarkable man.

20 Likes

We can hope, as with the Watergate malefactors.

7 Likes

I’m of the generation that got to recite Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and Churchill’s “we will fight them on the beaches” in school.

6 Likes

I thought Schiff’s closing was as good or better than his opening. He not only did a masterful “pre-buttal”, he also highlighted Robert F. Kennedy’s definition of moral courage and its rarity. He also outlined the stakes and what the Congress puts at risk if they let McConnell skate on witnesses or Trump skate on Obstruction of Congress. Just a masterful job.

17 Likes

In the movies, yes. The GOP members would all get religion, find God and do the right thing.
But they’re small, pusillanimous men, undeserving of any respect. Just worms.

8 Likes

But you’re not being fair to Pence if your prediction comes true. What’s poor Pence to do?

I agree, but would say masterly and not masterful. I’m a traditionalist. Forgive me.

2 Likes

“…Republican senators’ criminal complicity…”

There are no other words for it and they are incapable of shame.

6 Likes

As my grandmother used to say, “From your mouth to God’s ear!”

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available