Schiff Announces Senate Bid For 2024, Joining Already Crowded Field For Feinstein’s Seat

it’s a jungle primary. So two dems could end up in the general.

6 Likes

In a way she is stepping aside because she said she will make a decision in early 2024, but the filing deadline for the Senate seat is December 2023. She is retiring.

9 Likes

Sure, no worries. Harvey Milk’s murder was at least as big a deal as George Moscone’s if not more so. The horrifying nature was felt coast-to-coast. It was as big a news in Vermont as it was on the West Coast.

6 Likes

Dianne (sic) doesn’t have to be trashed online because for one she’s not going to read it and second, she doesn’t deserve to be bad mouthed. She was a competent, productive senator for many years, SF’s mayor before that, and she needs and deserves respect. Maybe not from you because you’re clueless but def from Californians.

7 Likes

I raise you Ted Cruz, Tom Cotton, Josh Hawley, Marsha Blackburn, Tommy Tuberville, and Rand Paul.

11 Likes

California deserves to have three or four—maybe even five—senators.

15 Likes

And those senators deserve to serve with ones from Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.

21 Likes

“That’s right! The Constitution gives ALL Americans the right to filibuster!”

https://www.politico.com/dims4/default/2dbc130/2147483647/legacy_thumbnail/1200x799>/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F6b%2Fc0%2F2eb89b54472bb6a08a24eb5b8237%2F211027-kyrsten-sinema-ap-773.jpg

7 Likes

“Because you know he will do it again.”

15 Likes

“Nevertheless, she persisted.”

2 Likes

Someone will be the next Senator from California.

13 Likes

I remember watching it with all of you and TPM’s LIVEBLOG.

10 Likes

Absolutely! Across her career Feinstein has provided remarkable leadership in moments of crisis and at other times. But the last few years have been about her ego and not what’s best for her constituents.

7 Likes

A more perfect example of the change in political air pressure caused by a vacuum is seldom seen.

1 Like

And that’s just the start.

1 Like

I’m holding on to Ron Johnson and Rick Scott for the flop.

8 Likes

I looked it up and in California, candidates have to file by December 23, 2023. Senator Feinstein stated she will make a decision by early 2024, which means if she goes by her statement she will not be filing to run.

7 Likes

This is why I oppose the jungle primary until you have something like ranked-choice to offset this sort of vote-splitting.

In our first election after we started this system, one of the lesser state offices (controller?) had 2 similar Dems & 2 similar Repubs running. The four split the vote close to 24% each. Fortunately, it ended up with 1 D & 1 R advancing to the finals. But it was a squeaker; could easily have been 2 from the same party. I’m pretty sure that would not have been what voters envisioned when this system was promoted to “elect more moderates”.

5 Likes

Doesn’t Senator Padilla count?

Padilla served more than seven years on the Los Angeles City Council, representing the 7th district

2 Likes

Way to go out on a limb there, @ralph_vonholst. :wink:

11 Likes