Schiff Announces Senate Bid For 2024, Joining Already Crowded Field For Feinstein’s Seat

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) announced on Thursday he will be running for Senate in 2024.

Schiff is the third House Democrat so far to launch a campaign for the California seat held by longtime Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who has not yet announced her plans.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446419

If I lived in California, Schiff would be my first choice for this Senate seat.

32 Likes

I do and I agree. I’ve long been impressed with him.

13 Likes

How old is Schiff? Katie Porter Is a much better choice!

10 Likes

Meanwhile, Feinstein’s office says she won’t be announcing her plans until 2024. That’s some bullshit. Senator Feinstein is a trailblazer who warrants our respect, but this is no way to exit.

28 Likes

Damn. I hate it when several people I really like and admire run against each other, particularly in this case. Since they are all in Congress, the House will be out several really good pols because they can only run for one office in 2024.

Oy.

36 Likes

It isn’t crowded YET! Only Katie Porter has announced. I like them both as well as Barbara Lee who is rumored to be interested but Katie has MY vote…

4 Likes

Schiff is 62, hardly too old. Both Schiff and Porter are excellent in their own way. So is Barbara Lee.

18 Likes

I like Schiff’s message and his delivery…
Out The Gate

7 Likes

Wouldn’t there be less chance of that happening if Feinstein retired early and Newsom picked the replacement, who would most likely win the nom in '24?

14 Likes

I like Schiff plenty, but this is a really odd decision. He has 22 years of seniority in the House, and he’s giving that up for a shot at being the junior Senator from California in a Senate that is very likely to be under Republican control after next year. I guess he just thinks it’s cooler to be a senator?

14 Likes

I like Katie Porter as well, though doesn’t she serve in a R leaning district? Would the people of her district switch back to voting republican if she leaves the house?

18 Likes

Yes…but I don’t think that is going to happen in a timely manner.

I really wish DiFi would step down gracefully. She’s done a lot of good and fought the good fight. It would be a shame if her manner of exit casts a pall over her decades of service.

19 Likes

Whichever one survives the primary will be the next senator from California.
The others will run for their current seats, most likely.

10 Likes

Not a huge fan of this (although in a vacuum I think he’d be a fine Senator). Schiff is a senior and respected member of the House delegation, he’s not exactly a whippersnapper, and this ultimately pits very electable figures against each other, ultimately compromising their other races to some degree. The Senate is neat and all that, but I don’t think it’s “better” than the House and I don’t think he should think so either.

Bleh.

I’m solid blue and all that, but California is friggin’ weird.

2 Likes

Maybe to place his House District into a younger generation of Democrat?

I was wishing DiFi didn’t run last time. Voted for her, but I thought it was time for new blood.

2 Likes

I don’t know about her exit, but her entrance onto the national scene is something no one could ever forget:

9 Likes

The poll is from last year (November).

3 Likes

I do live in California, and I’ll vote for Schiff in a heartbeat. Of course I want to see more women in the Senate, and Lee and Porter have jumped in, but the Rs have to be punished for their treatment of him and what better way than to become a senator from the The Golden State.

24 Likes

My thought exactly! Can any of them retain their House Seat if they lose in the primary? Hate to lose any of those Reps.

1 Like