Schiff Announces Senate Bid For 2024, Joining Already Crowded Field For Feinstein’s Seat

The year was 1978, Jim Jones had led his unsuspecting flock to a jungle, and then the City Hall Murders. I lived through it, and Feinstein who was a member of the city council consoled us San Franciscans in the most meaningful way and I’ll never forget it. But like with all good things, they end. She’s nearly 90, she needs to face up to it.

@robaruba

26 Likes

Glad I don’t have to choose between Adam Schiff and Katie Porter…want/need them both in office.
I’d lean towards Adam as he has been around the block a lot longer.
Still love Katie though and we need her!
Congrats Cali for having some quality candidates!

17 Likes

That would be indeed the right thing to do, but I’m not holding my breath on Feinstein. Apparently, the older you get in the Senate, the more defensive you become about holding on. Leahy, as much as he’s had a great career, should’ve resigned years ago - and let’s not get into the imbecile side of the aisle.

11 Likes

Clearly everyone has decided for DiFi that she’s not running again! Fine by me.

I’m not a CA resident, and I would be happy with any of the three apparent candidates (Lee, Schiff and Porter) though I’m not as excited about Porter as so many here seem to be. If I lived in CA, I’d probably vote for Lee or Schiff for the primary, and my only reason for ambivalence there is I’m not sure Lee is as strong state-wide as Schiff. Otherwise, I’d pick Lee - her vote on Afghanistan still resonates with me.

Any would be excellent.

7 Likes

Age makes no difference or we wouldn’t have elected Joe or for that matter orange. Porter is better because she’s younger? That’s nonsense. Schiff hasn’t even reached Social Security age.

4 Likes

Can they switch to running for their current seat AFTER the primary? Isn’t their current seat a part of the primary?

1 Like

It truly is an abundance of riches. California should be proud.

9 Likes

I’m concerned too about Dems leaving the House and not being replaced by Dems, but we’re talking about California, the bluest of the blue states and we’ll elect a Democrat to replace whoever leaves the House to run for the senate. We haven’t sent a repub to either House or Senate in a long time.

6 Likes

I think Katy’s seat might be a little harder to salvage.

It’s a rare instance that I am more concerned about losing any of these quality politicians than I am about losing their seats.

10 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say this - I’m not sure her seat is as safe as the others.

6 Likes

This is true, her district is mostly red, but I’m thinking about how the Rs in the House are going to turn off voters for the next two years with their outrageous proposals to rein in the deficit and their planned revenge hearings. None of them will work. Esp. the proposal to raise sales tax to 30% on EVERTHING you buy and getting rid of the IRS. The wealthy will gain and the rest of us will be screwed.

8 Likes

I’m on the fence between Schiff & Porter. Leaning toward Porter.

Barbara Lee, much as I love her, just NO! We don’t need an octogenarian as junior Senator.

10 Likes

Schiff is 62, so you’re condemning him way too soon. Keep in mind that Kev is punishing him by taking him off important committees (as well as Swalwell) because Schiff spoke out against orange again and again and again. That’s what this is all about.

16 Likes

Schiff’s closing argument in the first impeachment trial is unforgettable - and will go down in history.

24 Likes

CA has an embarrassment of riches. That’s certainly something to be proud of. If I had to choose I think I’d go with Porter partly because she is younger. The fact is that I want to hold the Senate seat as long as possible and it’s time for Gen X to rise. The other reason is that she’s got a way of explaining things to average folks that is just so down-to-earth and easy to understand. I’d like to see her elevated for that reason alone. Maybe she can teach the rest of them how to do it. I adore both Schiff and Lee and would be happy with either of them in the Senate. I would just choose Porter if I was forced to choose.

18 Likes

I am leaning towards Schiff. Not an easy choice but I believe he is the perfect temperament for that position. CA wins no matter which candidate becomes Senator. We have a deep bench.

13 Likes

Schiff is not too old, he’s too male.

CA has 20+ years of sending 2 women to Washington. I’d hate to see two dudes representing the state with the proud tradition California has.

2 Likes

I was interning at Seattle City Hall that day. One of they most tension filled days I have ever spent. Stacks of Seattle Times with the headline “Moscone Shot” and Seattle PD standing guard everywhere.

7 Likes

So -
Sen. Dianne Feinstein won’t announce her plans for 2024 — until 2024

in concrete terms - she will provide zero indication of her intentions for the next 11 months and 5 days ?
reveal no formal plans?
assemble no reelection campaign organization?
raise no reelection funds?
Really? seriously?
… if she does that, there will likely be nothing to announce - other than her retirement.

5 Likes

Agree. If he served 4 terms he’d still be younger that DiFi is now. 4 terms is a decent incumbent run

4 Likes