Sanders Wins New Hampshire Primary | Talking Points Memo

Bernie Sanders pulled it off — but it was a close race.

At around 11 p.m. ET, the Vermont senator was projected the winner of the New Hampshire Democratic primary. Former Mayor Pete Buttiegieg is currently at a close second.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1290731
1 Like

At this point I’d give sanders about a 70% chance of winning the nomination. Like it or not, he’s probably our guy.

4 Likes

What do you mean “bernie pulled it out” ??? He got 60.14% of the vote in 2016. This year he got 26%. More than half of his vote went away. And the anti bernie candidates got 24.5% (Buttigieg) 20% Klobuchar and 8.5% Biden. Given that warren’s 9.4% will likely split, bernie has a ceiling of 30% max…

That is half what he got in 2016.

I call that “bernie can’t win” …

29 Likes

Actually a tie @ 8 delegates each.

5 Likes

At this point it looks very unlikely that Bernie is the nominee. You’d be hard pressed to come up with two states better than Bernie (outside of Vermont) than Iowa and New Hampshire, and he’s dramatically underperformed. He has almost 100% name recognition, huge funds, and over 5 years of campaigning constantly, and he’s stuck in the 20-26% range. He’s also very few people’s second choice. His only hope is that the field stays split enough for his competitors to all fall below the 15% threshold for delegates, and that doesn’t seem likely right now.

31 Likes

This whole thing is a farce invented by the media based on the myth that it’s still the 80’s and the rules of politics never change. Iowa and New Hampshire aren’t representative of anything anymore, but now we’re supposed to crown a winner based on how fervent their supporters can be in two small states that will punish any politician who suggests they’re not more special than other states.

It’d actually make more sense to have all the primaries on the same day, since that’s closer to what the general election looks like. Dragging this process out is terrible and most of us were tired of the primaries before they started. General Election, take me away!

17 Likes

This has been asked before but I will do it again. Why does the Democratic Party permit someone who has never been a Democrat, or worked for Democrats, run in Democratic presidential primaries?

14 Likes

Fear

2 Likes

Brokered convention, here we come!

3 Likes

9 delegates each now for BS and PB
less than 3700 votes apart

4 Likes

I’ve loved TPM and the discussion threads, but the constant anti sanders, who i don’t really support, is completely pathetic. Is this the DNC’s blog? or are there folks who want to talk about this and not throw shade?

9 Likes

Constant?

3 Likes

Sanders is tRump on the left in too many ways. He is not the scumbag but there are too many other similarities: refusal to compromise, only he counts, does not help others, etc.

8 Likes

He will not be the nominee. He hasn’t got a prayer and he’ll get annihilated on Super Tuesday. Only question is whether he once again opts to throw an election to Trump.

13 Likes

9 delegates each Sanders and Buttigieg and 6 delegates Klobuchar

5 Likes

Maybe because huge swaths of the Democratic Party , represented here in the comment threads, does not support someone who is not actually a member of the Democratic Party.

12 Likes

I am not afraid of Sen. Sanders, in fact … I like him. Don’t quite understand all the fear around here.

9 Likes

Because the Democratic Party is essentially a franchise operation, requiring little more than a platform endorsement pledge to qualify for joint marketing rights to a brand name with nation-wide reach. The candidates are for the most part self-promoting entrepreneurs looking to catapult their name recognition into the big leagues, greatly broadening their access to potential investors and business opportunities.

5 Likes

Fear?

1 Like

Once again? Please describe the FIRST one.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available