Sailor On Ousted Navy Captain’s Ship Dies From COVID-19

In the Trump era, the correct term would be “cannon fodder”.

18 Likes

We know what he deserves. But if you embarrass the brass that all goes out the window.

6 Likes

He was relieved of duty for one reason only, the tirade of a draft-dodging egomaniac. He should be reinstated with extreme haste so that he does not end up like Charles McVay III, captain of the USS Indianapolis whose politically motivated court martial was overturned after his death.

ETA: My father, Ens. Donald J Blum, was a USS Indianapolis survivor.

26 Likes

We’ll have no truth telling from anybody though I don’t think the moron has it in his power to fire Dr. Fauci. But he’ll be disappeared from the daily chat show.

djt publicly signaled his frustration on Sunday with Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the federal government’s top infectious disease expert, after the doctor said that more lives could have been saved from the coronavirus if the country had been shut down earlier.

djt reposted a tweet that said “Time to #FireFauci as he rejected criticism of his slow initial response to the pandemic that has now killed more than 22,000 Americans.

Mr. Fauci, during an appearance on CNN on Sunday, was careful to say that many factors went into government decision-making, and he was at pains to stay focused on the science rather than the politics when asked if stay-at-home measures could have prevented deaths had they been put in place in February, instead of mid-March.

12 Likes

Trump’s America is increasingly reminding me of Putin’s Russia. When the Kursk submarine sank, protecting Putin’s reputation and the Russian Navy’s reputation were more important than the lives of the poor souls on board.

Trump and his minions do the same. Modly’s top priority was not the health of the sailors, but avoiding a scandal and keeping his job by making Trump happy. The thing I find amazing is that these minions don’t realize Trump needs scapegoats. If something happens that contradicts Trump’s ignorant or deliberately false statements, someone needs to take the blame. So, there is no winning policy or action that Modly could have taken.

Fauci’s head is next on the chopping block. It’s a no-win situation. Either he says Covid-19 is nearly gone, despite all evidence so the economy can open or he tells the truth, which puts him in Trump’s crosshairs. Of course, if he lied, he’d lose his job when the numbers proved him wrong in a week or two.

Why so many people put their heads on the chopping block for Trump, I really don’t understand.

20 Likes

Sloppy Monday. @cristina_cabrera

9 Likes

As a former airman, came here to comment on “soldier”. C’mon, they take strong pride in their branches of service; we should respect that.

16 Likes

The thing is, if Crozier left Esper and Modly to try to find a solution that didn’t cause a scandal that Trump would get annoyed about, infection on his ship would continue to increase. Then when half the ship was sick and some number had died, Crozier would have been blamed. With Trump and his minions, you can’t win.

Navy ships have close quarters. There aren’t cabins for infected crew to be isolated to.

17 Likes

This is about the Indianapolis, it was tough and heartbreaking, about 316 out of about 1200 survived.

12 Likes

We understand “soldiers” as risking their lives to defend America. Sailors can be rich guys who like to play around on yachts.

2 Likes

Trump was just about to suggest firing that sailor too!

1 Like

Either Dr. Fauci lies to the American public on trumPP’s behalf or he tells the truth as a doctor. Truth gets you nowhere in this admin but your reputation and morals will remain intact.

6 Likes

You’re right, soldiers are anyone who does what’s needed to defend their country.

2 Likes

And yet the military still supports the GOP by very large margins.

4 Likes

People who have seen their livelihoods shredded, farmers being a good portion of that, still support Rs.

5 Likes

I will let the last question go unanswered. But what Trump is creating (the Ruler is Always Right) is S.O.P. in governments referred to as “Regimes”.

Which is what Trump is temperamentally suited for.

Trump’s weaknesses in that quest are that (1) he is too stupid and lazy to pull it off and (2) he picked the Wrong Country

13 Likes

Fox is a helluva drug…

8 Likes

“Older” crew member, FWIW. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/13/sailor-uss-roosevelt-dies-coronavirus-183164

3 Likes

They are ALL complicit
Don’t ever let them forget

7 Likes

45 got them exactly what they wanted

unfunded tax cuts

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available