Sailor On Ousted Navy Captain’s Ship Dies From COVID-19

There are a lot of variables for minimum requirements. Shoes have a pretty short time frame, aviators and submariners are typically longer due to training. It would be my guess that he was coming off of his shore rotation and saw that he would be detailed to combat assignment and decided to pull the plug. Lots of things go into that decision (family situation, # of kids/ages, other possible opportunities, etc). Would not necessarily denigrate that choice. I would vociferously denigrate his choice of action as ACTING SecNav.

3 Likes

I don’t want Modly to be a pallbearer because he’s unworthy, but I think it would be fitting if he was trying to bench-press the casket while the sailor’s interment was completed. Does this sound too harsh? Then again, would this dishonor the sailor who’s life has been lost to this disease and naval bureaucratic indifference and inaction? I’m incensed beyond anger.

If there is any justice remaining in this society, then someone must pay for all this needless death.

2 Likes

He would have had obligated service from his time at the Naval Academy and obligated service from his flight training. Currently, the USNA obligation is 5 years and the flight training obligation is 6 or 8 years depending on the type of training. The lengths of obligated service may have been different back in his day. Moreover, he would have been a commissioned officer already during his flight training which would have counted against his USNA obligation.

10 U.S. Code § 653.Minimum service requirement for certain flight crew positions

10 U.S. Code § 8459.Midshipmen: agreement for length of service

My general point is that his plan all along may have been to do the minimum time then get on with civilian life. Forthcoming combat may not have had anything to do with it.

1 Like

Those are very soothing and comforting channels. You take care.

1 Like

Ja, I know, and there are SO many levels of nuance in military retirement. I just wanted to add some of the other, newer, possibilities. And bring up cases where “literally” might actually be OK!
:pray:

1 Like

My dad said that the sharks were there bumping their legs and scraping the bottoms of the rafts but they mostly fed on the floating dead.

3 Likes

Thanks. To be truthful, I had never watched HGTV before. I got very into them after I temporarily located in late December. Then I got totally sick of them, so sick I resorted to watching several episodes of Naked and Afraid. But now i am easing back in, mainly with Hometown. There is a good one called The Boise Boys which I probably like because they don’t show it as much. And I kind of have the crush on the daughter in Good Bones. I have developed a deep hatred for all the cooking competition shows, especially the one with Valerie Bertinelli and that smug baker where they make children compete in elimination competitions.

2 Likes

I also had the honor of meeting a survivor. His life had not gotten much easier since that day.

We’re partial to Nature on PBS (when it isn’t too sad) and Frontline always does an excellent job of in-depth reporting.

1 Like

Yes yes yes! And American Experience! And the British police or detective procedurals! And Doc Martin, which I am watching in reruns, one episode every Saturday at 8 pm on the NJ PBS Station.

2 Likes

You might also want to look for Voces or ‘voices’ on pbs - great series featuring stories of Latinos from all walks of life and time periods.

1 Like

I saw the documentary on Voces about Raul Julia Arcelay, who, I am proud to say, was a member of my Jesuit high school’s first graduating class, 1959. I also watched a good part of the biopic they did (with Latino Hollywood actors playing some scenes) on Oscar Acosta, the activist Chicano lawyer who is Hunter Thompson’s sidekick in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

1 Like

There is also a good one about the women who dub American series into Spanish.

1 Like

Ok! Wow! interesting. Because when we moved to PR in the early 60’s, I used to always wonder who the hell those people were that could make Ilya Kuryakin, Hoss, Perry Mason, Robert Conrad, Angie Dickinson, Connie Stevens, Mickey Dolenz, Davey Jones, Mike Naismith and Peter Tork ALL speak Spanish.

1 Like

Ahh the Monkees.
and I’m guessing that to the young hts, Angie Dickinson was as hot in Spanish as she was in English to impressionable youngsters like yourself.

1 Like

When my dad was succumbing to Alzheimer’s, we would play HGTV all day, it was quiet and calming…no loud commercials or loud voices, quiet music and mostly quiet people. But it did get mind numbing for the rest of us. The only good competitive cooking show is the great British baking show…it is completely different from American productions. If you haven’t gotten a chance to see it, do, because it is just lovely. The bakers are real people, there is no arrogance or aggressive competition, the judges and series hosts are funny and the baking is pretty amazing. It started on PBS, of course!

1 Like

I’m so glad Doc Martin came back with a new season. What a hoot.

1 Like

Bill O’Reilly: “That dead sailor was on his last sea legs, anyway.”

1 Like

Well, then they should name one after Chiselin’ Trump.

Soon.

Please.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available