Sailor On Ousted Navy Captain’s Ship Dies From COVID-19

Thanks. To be truthful, I had never watched HGTV before. I got very into them after I temporarily located in late December. Then I got totally sick of them, so sick I resorted to watching several episodes of Naked and Afraid. But now i am easing back in, mainly with Hometown. There is a good one called The Boise Boys which I probably like because they don’t show it as much. And I kind of have the crush on the daughter in Good Bones. I have developed a deep hatred for all the cooking competition shows, especially the one with Valerie Bertinelli and that smug baker where they make children compete in elimination competitions.

2 Likes

I also had the honor of meeting a survivor. His life had not gotten much easier since that day.

We’re partial to Nature on PBS (when it isn’t too sad) and Frontline always does an excellent job of in-depth reporting.

1 Like

Yes yes yes! And American Experience! And the British police or detective procedurals! And Doc Martin, which I am watching in reruns, one episode every Saturday at 8 pm on the NJ PBS Station.

2 Likes

You might also want to look for Voces or ‘voices’ on pbs - great series featuring stories of Latinos from all walks of life and time periods.

1 Like

I saw the documentary on Voces about Raul Julia Arcelay, who, I am proud to say, was a member of my Jesuit high school’s first graduating class, 1959. I also watched a good part of the biopic they did (with Latino Hollywood actors playing some scenes) on Oscar Acosta, the activist Chicano lawyer who is Hunter Thompson’s sidekick in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

1 Like

There is also a good one about the women who dub American series into Spanish.

1 Like

Ok! Wow! interesting. Because when we moved to PR in the early 60’s, I used to always wonder who the hell those people were that could make Ilya Kuryakin, Hoss, Perry Mason, Robert Conrad, Angie Dickinson, Connie Stevens, Mickey Dolenz, Davey Jones, Mike Naismith and Peter Tork ALL speak Spanish.

1 Like

Ahh the Monkees.
and I’m guessing that to the young hts, Angie Dickinson was as hot in Spanish as she was in English to impressionable youngsters like yourself.

1 Like

When my dad was succumbing to Alzheimer’s, we would play HGTV all day, it was quiet and calming…no loud commercials or loud voices, quiet music and mostly quiet people. But it did get mind numbing for the rest of us. The only good competitive cooking show is the great British baking show…it is completely different from American productions. If you haven’t gotten a chance to see it, do, because it is just lovely. The bakers are real people, there is no arrogance or aggressive competition, the judges and series hosts are funny and the baking is pretty amazing. It started on PBS, of course!

1 Like

I’m so glad Doc Martin came back with a new season. What a hoot.

1 Like

Bill O’Reilly: “That dead sailor was on his last sea legs, anyway.”

1 Like

Well, then they should name one after Chiselin’ Trump.

Soon.

Please.

1 Like

If that one sailor who died on the Roosevelt had died under the Obama administration it would be endless fodder on Fox with Geraldo and god knows who else physically going into the ship snooping around every bunk.

Yep. You know me.

1 Like

When my Mom was in her decline, we would watch My Cat From Hell at the nursing home. Came in useful when I adopted two rescued Yonkers street cat siblings about a year after she passed on. They are pretty chill, so someone needs to make a TV show for cats called My Owner From Hell…heh heh…

We also saw a great but ultimately heartbreaking Nature show on PBS called My Life as a Turkey.

3 Likes

I’m sure our cats would contribute to that show.

My youngest granddaughter (10) will only eat poultry because she feels too bad for cows and pigs and lambs, and chickens and turkeys aren’t very cute. She would become a total vegetarian if she saw the turkey Nature show.

1 Like

Wasn’t that wonderful? What an interesting man. And the thing with shows like Nature and Nova, I sometimes just flip to them thinking, " I’m not interested in turkeys, I’ll just watch a couple of minutes" and then it just gets so interesting. The same man also did a nice “My Life as a Deer” if you watch stuff online.

1 Like

I will try and watch. I have not updated my PBS contribution, but I did dabble in some of their on line offerings. There was a Brit detective procedural, I think it was called Cold Case, with the protagonist who was a former police detective fired for alcoholism who people came to for help on cold cases. The star was poached by some network TV series that also probably only lasted a year. I think his name might have been Stanley Isaacs. But I am not gonna look it up. Anyway, I will look for My Life as a Deer and probably there is a book behind it like there was for My Life as a Turkey. I stayed on to watch My Life as a Turkey because …well…in college I was sometimes accused of being a turkey…Imagine that? Me? Moi???

2 Likes

Have you had any CORVID jokes thrown your way?
ETA: as in CORVID 19?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available