Russia Strikes Western Ukraine As Infamous Convoy Repositions | Talking Points Memo

Is the Russian offensive grinding to a halt? Or is this a calm before the storm?

That’s the question before us today, as Russian advances on Ukrainian territory have slowed dramatically over the past week.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1408576

Unfortunately, it seems like this is the likely outcome.

Nothing worse than a cornered rat.

Speaking of rats…

19 Likes

Whatever Russia does, the West’s task remains essentially unaltered and that is to make continuation of this war, and any short-term victory, such a huge net loss for Russia that nothing like it will happen for a long, long time and that includes seeing to it that Putin cannot offload any of that cost.

ETA (tl/dr;)
37 Likes

The White House is picking up on an idea from climate activist and author Bill McKibben to help reduce Europe’s dependence on Russian energy. In late February, McKibben wrote that President Joe Biden should invoke the Defense Production Act to scale up U.S. manufacturing of heat pumps, devices that can heat and cool homes with electricity rather than natural gas, and ship them to Europe.

Hey, I’d install a heat pump in a second if there were federal subsidies to increase energy independence.

This is a Naomi Klein “shock doctrine” moment that would allow us to develop alternative energy sources and reduce global warming.

“More of this, please!”
– My hypothetical grandchildren

35 Likes

Success depends on the percentage of European homes that have central heat and air.

Only about 5% have air conditioning, and gas space heaters are common. There are about 23 million heat pumps in all of Europe.

15 Likes

I can imagine the Fox headlines, though…

40 Likes

Yeah the oil companies will label this “Critical Heat Theory” by the end of the day. Florida will ban it. Texas will allow you to sue your neighbors for having a heat pump.

24 Likes

NPR Report Shows Full Extent Of Russian Attack On Nuclear Plant

How to make nuclear war without using a nuclear weapon.

16 Likes

heat pumps, devices that can heat and cool homes with electricity rather than natural gas, and ship them to Europe.

Of course, in the wonderful post-nuclear energy utopia that the Greens have constructed in Germany, “electricity” all too often means coal-fired generators

7 Likes

“Infamous Convoy Repositions.”

25 Likes

Ductless systems are pretty great.

As the climate continues to warm - remember how the Americans brought Europe AC.

4 Likes

Maybe a good idea but Bill McKibben would have all of us living in the woods if he had his way.

2 Likes

You forgot to add the bit about how Hunter Biden is profiting off it and China.

9 Likes

Another live thread that seems to have gone away here on TPM just now had one update where an official was saying the Russians “might” have used cluster bombs in Kharkiv. and that investigation was needed…
OK, how about this??

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/03/04/ukraine-cluster-munitions-launched-kharkiv-neighborhoods#
In the link there is an image of the rack the bomblets ride on.
Just sayin’

17 Likes

Yes it is true that I’m not sure he has the best grasp on how to sell environmentalism to non-readers of the The New Yorker! That said, when I read today’s news it makes me wish we could shut down the world’s biological and chemical weapons labs and nuclear plants until the time that international controls prevent them from being used for war – which is a bit McKibbenish.

4 Likes

Wait…are you saying living in the woods is a bad thing?

9 Likes

Possible relief at the gas pump and more pain for Putin?

11 Likes

For a number of years, especially after the decision to close all nuclear power plants, the German government offered subsidies to homeowners and businesses for alternative energy investment (heat pumps, photovoltaic, etc.). That kind of petered out after a while, the sums available were too paltry to be of major interest.

Told hubby the other day that I expect the government is going to revive that program (he agrees) and we are expecting to see considerable monies come free in the next few months. We’re watching because, although we have green (renewable) electricity, our heating is gas (house built in the 1980s) and would change if we got sufficient financial assistance to do so.

21 Likes

What would be better than discounting him would be to actually consider and plan for the ecological disaster that is on its way. But that requires science in coordination with governance, so fuck it I guess.

6 Likes

Bygones!

CBS/MSM: Corporatists in hot pursuit of other corporatists’ asses to kiss.

31 Likes