Romney Says It’s ‘Increasingly Important’ For Senate To Hear From Bolton | Talking Points Memo

Ruh roh, the first head on a spike?

Testimony from Bolty Bolton is going to be hard to pull off, you are going to need all 53 GOP Senators on board with that. Not technically true of course because presumable it only takes a handful. But the GOP always act as a singular herd, it is how they hope to survive politically. And there is always Moscow Mitch.

Oh, Mitt, you’re such a tease. Giggle.

5 Likes

Romney has nothing to fear. He has four years before his next election and will win easily…

which is why his cautious, concerned attitude is so infuriatingly cowardly!

12 Likes

EXACTLY! I’m pretty sure donnie is not even that popular in Utah.

4 Likes

Ah, the Senate’s other other other media whore pipes up.

3 Likes

Will the gop ever grow up into actual independent human beings and walk the path of real senators or be trump’s little minions?

When toddlers are learning to walk , many spend some time walking up on their tip toes , which is known as toe walking . Commonly this is to get into things they aren’t meant to, but as they perfect their walking , they walk more with their whole foot on the ground.

1 Like

RE: calling the Bidens in exchange for Bolton, a query. Trump alleges Ukraine is rampant with corruption, which he wanted rooted out as a condition of continued assistance. If this corruption is so widespread it must be endemic to dozens upon dozens of corporations large and small, along with befalling various government offices and officials. We only occasionally see Dems ask aloud “Why the focus on the Bidens if this corruption is so ingrained and widespread?”

I cannot understand why Dems do not more prominently tout this framing of the issue.

7 Likes

He will say publicly that he will vote on Bolton be called to testify. When McConnell anounces that he will hold a vote, Romney will switch to no. The only reason he favors the vote right now is because he thinks that it is unlikely to be held.

3 Likes

As long as he keeps his head on, he’ll probably be ok. (Snark alert)

Serious point though, I have noticed over time that the GOP has a way of making anyone that crosses their line pay, elections or no.

2 Likes

What a frigging coward, putting a toe in the water when he knows he has nothing to lose by doing the right thing.

1 Like

ACTUALLY…CJ Roberts could call witnesses and it would take 67 senators saying Nay to upend that decision.

3 Likes

Personally, I believe that if Bolton does testify, he will parse his words enough not to have the impact we all hope for. Bolton never had any love for Democrats. Quite the opposite. Doesn’t mean he can’t still take a swipe at Trump for firing him as he is doing now while still frustrating Democratic efforts at removing Trump.
IOW, Mitt knows Bolton won’t sing too loudly or clearly.

5 Likes

I think Romney is safe. He has his own money and his dreams of being POTUS are over. He doesn’t need this crew, especially after the humiliating treatment he got from Trump.

3 Likes

I read that NYT opinion piece too. Not sure what to make of it though as I am not a constitutional lawyer, and their opinion pieces are often just click-bait.

No.

2 Likes

That’s far too logical and simple and therefore, impossible to achieve.

1 Like

OT - Just saw Bernie on the stump in Iowa conflating the Republicans with the “Democratic Establishment”

OY

12 Likes

Thanks for causing me to pee my pants.

1 Like

Merrick Garland was just a trial run, suckers!

Yup - that’s MoscowMitch’s playbook. Can he do it again, now that the play is well known?

I had read/heard this earlier in the proceedings.

Of course, I’m sure Mitch would find a way to ixnay this.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available