Romney Says It’s ‘Increasingly Important’ For Senate To Hear From Bolton | Talking Points Memo

yes – but they’d probably have to pass a separate rule allowing them to pass a different rule to do so, because the right of any Senator to offer motions is part of the fundamental foundation of Senate procedures.

ETA: rule XI makes this explicit – establishing that regular order rules of the Senate prevail unless there is something else in the impeachment rules that supercede those regular order rules.

yes, but it only takes a majority to interpret any rule – so all you need is 51 Senators to say “hey, that rule really doesn’t mean what it says…”

2 Likes

So is Mitt. Rather than have his dog taken care of by professionals, or hire a van, he went on a family vacation with the sick dog in a carrier strapped to the roof of the family car. He was a millionaire - and that’s how he treats a sick animal. Draw your own conclusions as to his moral center.

2 Likes

We should all tweet and facebook and email etc our leaders and papers and blogs and neighbors saying that since there are sufficient numbers of Senators to vote to approve subpoena’s for witnesses the Senate should get on with those subpoena’s and get this trial moving!

The Mormon church loves wealth and power as much as any of the big religions. But their rank and file do expect some kind of moral standard.

1 Like

Got none. Well, one. $$$$$

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/09/wife-sues-mormon-church-after-revealing-husband-sexual-abuse/

the constitution does not empower the CJ. It designates him as the Presiding officer. The Constution delegates all powers – including defining the role of the Presiding Officer, to the Senate itself.

1 Like

The courts have no power to prescribe what powers, if any, the Presiding Officer has in an impeachment trial. If a majority of the senators decide that the Presiding Officer’s only power is to gavel the Senate in and out of session, that’s all he will get to do.

2 Likes

Rule VII does not “diminish the Constitutional powers of the Chief Justice to preside.” It clearly grants the CJ the authority to “rule on all questions of evidence,” and for the sake of argument let’s assume that includes the power to agree to calling witnesses. It also grants him the authority to defer “any such question to a vote of the Members of the Senate.” And in both instances it reserves to the Senate the power to serve as the appellate court and overrule his decision by a simple majority vote.

@txlawyer @paul_lukasiak

2 Likes

I wonder what’s in 45*'s bowl? It sure isn’t salad. Probably breaded fishsticks.

1 Like

Thanks for the good post, cub. We read Moby Dick in grade school.
Alas, all I can hear is Khan.

Every time I see him giving a speech with his sleeves rolled up I think of his 3rd home in California with a two-story garage with an elevator.

1 Like

This is the church he goes to when he’s here in town. Real shirt sleeves crowd there lemme tell ya.

2 Likes

They’re waiting, like the Cowardly Lion, for the courage. We gave them a hall pass on the brains and the hearts long time ago.

1 Like

Be sure they’ve got the same proportion of creepos as in the general population.
They just usually keep it quiet.

1 Like

No argument here.

Oh my what a photo.

Hadn’t seen that one before.

Why are they so set against door #2 (Pence)?

1 Like

And #5:

“What you’re seeing and hearing is not what’s happening.”

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available