Roger Stone Requests New Trial Amid Presidential Meddling Scandal | Talking Points Memo

10+ years would be nice, makes him ineligible for club fed. But I doubt she’ll exceed the guidelines.

5 Likes

I don’t think an EO would override the standing law that those pardoned lose their 5th amendment rights and are compelled to testify, even with these courts. Which is why Roger, Paul, and the rest of them are nuts if they think pardons are coming.

3 Likes

Isn’t it too late to move for a mistrial?

Amazingly, this is a new, different request based on the bogus story yesterday about the Grand Jury foreperson. Keep digging, Roger.

6 Likes

It is! They can’t help themselves. And the Judge must be getting really pissed. What a brilliant strategy.

3 Likes

I have a theory that the new lawyers need to look busy.

hahahahahahaha

5 Likes

OT and just for the fun of it:

12 Likes

That warms the cockles of my heart!

7 Likes

Commutation does not remove 5th amendment tights. That’s why Scooter Libby was commuted, and not pardoned until well after the SoL had expired for the crimes he could have testified about. Also, being pardoned does not remove your 5th amendment rights wrgt any other crimes you might be involved in, including ones you just made up.

2 Likes

And yet, somehow, Don Siegelman languished in jail for not actually taking a bribe to re-appoint someone to a board position.

5 Likes

PoundSand

2 Likes

Can we please get Michael Flynn in jail? You know, the guy who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI OVER TWO YEARS AGO?!?!?!

6 Likes

That is the christian conservative and white nationalist ideal of justice. That is why they find themselves whoring with Putin and Mo Bone Saw (PBUH), the custodian of the holy land of the 9-11 terrorists.

4 Likes

Why is it not the standard reply, far and wide: “The Constitution did not give the President the pardon power to pardon himself and his co-criminals”

???

If it’s not verbatim in the Constitution then demand that this interpretation be so! Will Republicans finally have to concede this point or will they finally have to concede that they want their own Rat King?

3 Likes

The cockles of my heart and I parted by mutual consent decades ago.

3 Likes

You don’t have to be a lawyer to grasp that, obviously, the framers did not intend to let a president pardon himself [only the lawyers will argue it isn’t clear]. I suppose the bit about co-criminals is that the framers assumed a criminal president would be impeached!

We could add an amendment to clarify this loophole. But all of that still depends on the will of Congress to enforced!

2 Likes

look, if he’s retried and convicted the sentencing will likely happen after Trump is out so no pardon, no clemency for Stone.

ImPotus could (say, in november) pardon an unsentenced stone pre-emptively, nixon-style.

2 Likes

Long distance between wantin’ and gettin’.

5 Likes

Stone’s legal reasoning for seeking a new trial isn’t known.

It isnt relevant. The point isnt to reach a legal conclusion. Rather, it’s to keep the ball in the air with constant lies. Truth is lethal. Intolerable.

And, since it’s Fat Donald, a certain amount of showbiz pizazz gets you into the inner core.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available