Republicans Take Trump’s Planned 2024 Election Denialism To The House Floor

I haven’t: she’s a pandering pile of crap.

8 Likes

There are two things that really bug me about that photo.

One. I despise Chip (Mr. Chin Merkin) Roy.

Two. Johnson looks like my deceased brother but with hair.

Meanwhile. Stack up all the efforts the Republicans are putting into place to manipulate or thwart the vote. The ludicrous heights they are going to, to scare their voters, the lies, the psuedo polling and grandstanding. I think the Republicans know they are walking on the edge of falling off the planet. And they believe they can only survive, individually, by kissing the bloated ass of Trump. Hell of a life.

4 Likes

10 Likes

The mental image of Alito in a Speedo, once called forth, cannot be un-thought again, no matter how many markup tags you throw at it.

Sufficient whiskey, on the other hand, just might do the trick if applied promptly, before the ghastly apparition makes it into long term memory.

3 Likes

Or what’s in them

3 Likes

In the Revolution, both were flown as Navy (and privateer) flags. The Appeal to Heaven flag, no longer including the words, is still the ensign for MA boats and ships. The pine tree (unusual for a naval flag, right?), so I have read, represented the great white pines of New England (maybe thinking of British strictures against cutting down any pine of more than 12" diameter unless the timber was to be used for building British Navy ships – so a way for Revolutionary patriots to thumb their nose at the British?). My father flew the Gadsden flag from our front porch for years. He lived a long life but, fortunately, not long enough to see it “stollen.”

2 Likes

I’d like to say that it’s Leather Pride, but it is not.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I am so glad I saw your post! Now I can sleep tonight.
:sleeping:

2 Likes

I wonder what happened in 2008 to get “working class whites” so agitated.

I can’t remember, but maybe someone else does.

Whatever it was, it sure created a lot of “economic anxiety”!

8 Likes

It looks like some dumb yacht club flag.

ETA I see it was identified. Shocking he didn’t fly it upside down.

2 Likes

I dug through the google a little more, and found this:

As I was taking my regular Sunday-morning jog through my town’s park, I saw three flags fluttering high in the wind. There was an American flag, a Christian flag, and a third that I had never before seen: a white flag with a simple pine tree on it.

It turns out that I had encountered an attempted revival of the Ichthus Music Festival. Founded in 1970 as a Christian response to Woodstock, Ichthus went strong through the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. It never got quite as big as the Creation Festival in Pennsylvania, but at its height, the three-day festival hosted tens of thousands of attendees and upwards of 100 bands—including Petra, Charlie Peacock, Switchfoot, Newsboys, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Jars of Clay.

By the 2010s, however, flagging interest and financial difficulties doomed Ichthus.

The Tree Flag was used by supporters of Sarah Palin in the 2013 Million Vet March. That same year it was adopted as an emblem of a Dutch Sheets initiative that brought together “fellow believers serving Christ in public office.” Soon after, Sheets published a book entitled An Appeal to Heaven: What Would Happen If We Did It Again , which took readers on “a journey of discovering the role you were designed to play in America’s history.” The same language began appearing on daily prayer sessions posted for his 200,000 followers on YouTube. The flag also became associated with the National Day of Prayer movement.

7 Likes

Announcer: “Do not take the brown communion wafers that are circulating.”

8 Likes

“It may be transcendental, but it is not transubstantiation.”

1 Like

Better Alito than Thomas. But I take your point and suffer as well. Sorry about that.

1 Like

As the old saying goes, “Some days chicken, some days feathers.”

2 Likes

Re Charlie Kirk’s “The Great Replacement Isn’t Theory, It’s Reality”. Various versions of outpopulating your competitor probably came with an early inventor of religion who saw a way to increase congregation size. Sure, one group can outpopulate another, but, say, the Han Chinese, after a 6 millennia march, ended up with a mandatory 1-child policy in 1982. Hafez al-Assad came up with a genius plan to breed warriors, quadrupling Syria’s population in just four decades, only to have his son fight a civil war, deal with state collapse, starvation and mass migration. Replacement per se just lands you in a Malthusian cul de sac. The Israel/Palestine situation is a great example. While the world population only quadrupled over the past century, the population in Israel/Palestine has increased 16 times. Now people that used to live side by side kill each other for all sorts of reasons, real and imagined. Cesar Chavez took a view of the fertility rate differential in Hispanics as having inevitable consequences and that those consequences would arrive within just a half century. He was right, but all outpopulation episodes come to an end. Not only are US Hispanic fertility rates down, Mexico’s fertility rate is now about 2.0, which is below the replacement rate of 2.1. China may be unique in imposing a limit on procreation, but it is likely unnecessary. Excessive birth rates are stressful for any society, Super-rich Saudi Arabia has seen a precipitous drop from over 6.6 to just over 2.1 at the moment. Haiti, one of the most food-distressed populations in the Western Hemisphere, has seen its fertility rate drop from 6.4 in 1960 to 2.7. To say what something is you must say when it is. Great Replacement Theory sounds like something a college student might come up with after several joints, stonily ignoring that an outpopulation episode ends with the participants fighting among themselves for resources or new territory. In 2021, over half of all nations in the world had fertility rates below 2.1, and that should expand to about two-thirds by the end of this decade.

2 Likes

Nikki Haley just endorsed Trump. Maybe part of the problem with US politics is the sunken cost dilemma. Nikki has invested so much in having a political life, she has to back Trump for any near future prospects. In this sense, some republicans like Liz Cheney decided to cut bait when it was clearly not worth going down the repeal of the rule of law road. This problem also affects certain mountaineer tourists. These people are likely fit and ambitious but hardly wise. Already into their Everest hike by $25,000 or more, they are willing to press on despite the dangerous, stupid spectacle.

4 Likes

Hell, most citizens don’t even vote and the likelihood of non-citizens voting is even less.

4 Likes

Republicans Take Trump’s Planned 2024 Election Denialism To The House Floor

… … … … … …
Why bother with the truth when lies get votes? It’s the goober way

1 Like