Republicans’ Pasts Haunt Them As They Rush To Support Reproductive Rights They Put In Harm's Way

Originally published at: Republicans’ Pasts Haunt Them As They Rush To Support Reproductive Rights They Put In Harm’s Way

Ahead of the 2024 elections, the National Republican Senatorial Committee has been distributing memos to Republican candidates across the country, advising them to publicly support access to contraception and in vitro fertilization — despite what Republicans have been doing to the contrary in the Senate in recent weeks and months.  “NRSC encourages Republican Senate candidates…

“History rewrite” is not the only rhetorical mechanism here. Here’s another: when these GOPers start saying they support IVF, it gives R voters permission to believe that the GOPer has changed their mind, and will no longer actively pursue anti-choice legislation.

The GOP is furnishing an excuse to low-information voters who always vote R but were thinking about sitting out in 2024 b/c Dobbs, so they will stop worrying about reproductive rights and vote against evil Dems like they want to.

ETA: fRIst!
cat-hacker-inside

25 Likes

I want every embryonic personhood person to be asked point blank how many surplus IVF embryos they have adopted.

17 Likes

I realize I am preaching to the choir here, but man I hate Ted Cruz. I would like to see Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott in an episode of Celebrity Death Match, but hopefully neither of them survives.

14 Likes

No seriously, there should be like a subscription plan to adopt surplus IVF embryos and pay for the storage. Parents who’re done trying can sell them through the cryo agency, sort of like condo owners whose building management does the work of renting out their unit.

For just $4.99 a day, less than the price of a woke, blended, coffee shake, you can adopt your very own baby! For $7.99 a day you can name her and for $11.99 a day, cheaper than a value meal in the drive through, we’ll send you your very own commemorative test tube with a little blob of snot in it. Call today! Call now!

15 Likes

Their presents should haunt them too. This walking, talking dignity black hole is fucking pathetic…

Kadia Goba

@kadiagoba

Rep. Troy Nehls is wearing Trump kicks

Proof that some people’s genes apparently don’t have the alleles required to reach full adulthood…

21 Likes

Etch-A-Mitt 2.0…

4 Likes

There’s a mistake in the early part of the article:

And the hypocrisy starts at the top. Despite being a leader in a group that is encouraging Republican candidates to support IVF, NRSC Chair Sen. Steve Daines’ (R-MT) record on the issue is clear.

That should be “lying,” not hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is about acting contrary to your professed beliefs. What the republicans are doing is just plain lying about their beliefs and former/current statements and actions.

21 Likes

Are those the real ones or just knockoffs?

5 Likes

I hated Ted Cruz before you ever heard of him. I hated Ted Cruz long before it was cool.

26 Likes

I can assure you the anti-America Christian backers of fetal personhood aren’t confused. They know that they must oppose IVF to be logically consistant with their position (unsupported in either the bible or science) that life begins at conception.

15 Likes

Talk about being the poster boy for pandering!

3 Likes

Errrmmm… …
Life begins before conception according to some religious zealots.

7 Likes

I love it, the GOP is the dog that caught the car and the Democrats need to remind them and the media of that every day until November.

16 Likes

Well, yeah … now that he can afford them!

[Disclaimer on the webshop: the product delivered could look different than showed. In the terms and conditions: no refunds.]

8 Likes

Any Democrat can win anywhere if the Democrat hammers on Dobbs all day every day. Fortunately it appears the party is finally getting the message.

11 Likes

Life began four billion years (or so) ago. It is a continuous living thread from prokaryotes to us. We all must make decisions on how we treat our fellow organisms. Blastocysts are not high up in my hierarchy. There are between 500,000 and one million frozen in the us alone.

8 Likes

That’s the big advantage of Misanthropy: I hated Ted Cruz before I even heard of him! :wink:

16 Likes

Haha…been a long time since I really cared about my sneakers, but $100 is a CHEAP pair of kicks these days.

5 Likes

Those orthos don’t come cheap!

3 Likes