Republicans Are Up To Their Same Old Tricks On Social Security

Long exposure time didn’t allow smiles.

20 Likes

In a hand wringing melt down of anxiety-ridden angst!!

9 Likes

Again, people “worry.” Biden may be an old guy who walks funny and Harris may have not made much of an impression in her “warm bucket of spit” role, but as a rule Biden has restored the running of the executive to something much more competent than what we had. The economy is working better than most as we move from pandemic to endemic covid. The state department is functional again. The electricity grid is gradually being decarbonized. Following the garish FIFA World Cup in Qatar, the US is responding with a Homeless World Cup in Sacramento, directly overturning Bush-era policy. 94% of all American adults have a bank account. People are even more likely to keep their catalytic converters.

24 Likes

With all due respect, when have VPs ever been expected to be ‘impressive’? No one thought Mike Pence was impressive, but he was never subject to the level of attacks that VP Harris has endured. To be fair, though, I can see the argument that VP Harris is being held to such a high standard because due to the President’s age, she stands a real chance of being elevated to POTUS: especially in the 2nd term.

25 Likes

AKA Wall Street

2 Likes

I find it puzzling that our current crop of wannabe dictators are so incompetent. And TFG was a disaster at being competent.

10 Likes

I dropped out of college and worked unskilled labor for a couple of years. That was a hard life, and it wasn’t long before I started making plans to go back to school. I have worked a desk job for 40+ years. Without that sheepskin, I might have been pushing up the daisies years ago.

I will retire this year and hope to put off collecting SS for another three years, until age 70. But a lot of people don’t have that option.

37 Likes

OT…I saw some of your Canadian Leopards getting loaded into a cargo plane and headed to Ukraine. That was on the Denys Davidov pod yesterday.
Thanks Canada!

33 Likes

My brother sells hundreds of pounds of scrap aluminum from his business every few months and they check his ID and print him a check every time. People can walk in carrying 20 or 30 pounds of copper or a few catalytic converters and they pay them cash.

They know those folks are thieves and they don’t care.

29 Likes

Uh, the reason that Kamala has allegedly been “unimpressive” is due to not only the misogynistic attitude of the Corporate Controlled Conservative Press added in with a large amount of blatant racism.

The CCCP wants Trump back in the White House and they will gladly do whatever it takes to achieve that!

29 Likes

I think they are in Poland now and on their way to make some noise. I think there are 4 but others are being fixed up. We have about 100 of the Leopards.

13 Likes

The article was written in far better language than what I clumsily used but my points agree with the article. I did not say the balloon was low tech and this sort of surveilance can do things a satellite can’t. But it still seems to me to be poorly timed given the planned trip to China by our Sec. of State that is now off.
It was a good article.

6 Likes

I saw a documentary a few years back about the 2008 mortgage clusterfuck, which stated that the impetus for creating the market for second mortgages and home equity loans was that the bankers wanted to get their hands on the equity captured in the homes of the postwar generation. Those original mortgages were all paid up, and there were no more interest payments coming in.

It takes money to make money, unless you do something useful for a living.

38 Likes

I tend to agree. What animus there is toward Harris, it seems to me, has been manufactured by the political press out of whole cloth.

47 Likes

Because, while their voting base consists of seniors, and rural folks on the dole, their constituency is the wealthy, who want cheaper labor.

Thus, they oppose healthcare solutions that disconnect health insurance from employment; retirement options that would tend to reduce the numbers in the work force, childcare, unemployment insurance.

38 Likes

Just guessing, but I think President Biden has no plans to replace her, really why would he make such a move? And I would bet the house that he is fully aware of your astute point.

However, I would also guess that many pundits are required pundit on a regular basis. And because of such, many silly things get written.

15 Likes

I tend to agree. I would like to also add that Biden does as well.

Schumer and Biden plan to roll out some aspects of signed-into-law legislation.

This should accompany some indictments of certain individuals.

14 Likes

When W. Bush wanted to create private Social Security accounts he had none other than Charles Schwab at his side at the town hall meetings. The dude must have been salivating over it.
Social security is social insurance. We already have private tax deferred retirement savings plans such as 401ks, IRA etc.

35 Likes

Curmudgeonly much?

How could you not be? I think that being a curmudgeon would be a job requirement to work at TPM.

6 Likes

Oh yes. And then throw them to the floor very roughly.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available