Republicans Are Up To Their Same Old Tricks On Social Security

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo.

Wrapped up in Republicans’ debt ceiling hostage-taking is also their long-running con to break Social Security. Despite Speaker Kevin McCarthy repeatedly assuring public audiences that Social Security and Medicare are “off the table” in debt ceiling negotiations, Republicans continue to float various ways to undermine the social safety net.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447388

I think the key player in the 2024 presidential race is going to be Kamala Harris. In her most recent article, Michelle Goldberg, a commentator I normally agree with, has accepted the now seemingly common MSM wisdom that Ms. Harris should never be POTUS. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/opinion/biden-shouldnt-run-2024.html

She even goes so far as to muse that VP Harris shouldn’t be Mr. Biden’s running mate in 2024. This sentiment was widely echoed in the comments thread. This is a crazy line of argument, in my opinion.

If the Dems want to win in 2024, President Biden’s running mate will be VP Harris: full stop. The reasoning is simple. The most important and reliable segment of the Dem coalition is Black women. They are the people who take Dems over the line in close elections. Given that V.P. Harris is not only the first female VP, but also a Black woman, I can’t imagine the Biden administration taking the risk of essentially forcing her out to be replaced by a more charismatic White pol.

72 Likes

The SOTU annual theatrical will be packaged and delivered today, tomorrow. There will be clown shows on the hour, every hour until what feels like the end of time.

27 Likes

It’s Neo-Nazis, plural.

Neo-Nazi Charged In Plot To Attack Power Grid

A third person they were allegedly conspiring with turned out to be an informant for the government who recorded many of their conversations.

When I was younger I hated squealers and narcs, but in the right situation they can be useful.

38 Likes

Neo-Nazis

5 Likes

Thanks for the correction!

5 Likes

When did that ever stop the Snide-o-sphere from publishing their preposterous claptrap?

24 Likes

A good synopsis of the whole affaire

14 Likes

I’m disappointed by her low profile.

8 Likes

Republicans want to fix Social Security:

“Why, my sweet little tot,” the fake Santy Claus lied,
“There’s a light on this tree that won’t light on one side.”
“So I’m taking it home to my workshop, my dear.”
“I’ll fix it up there. Then I’ll bring it back here.”
And his fib fooled the child. Then he patted her head,
And he got her a drink and he sent her to bed.

57 Likes

Great analogy! And that was a classic book. Also the animated special. Let us never speak of the Jim Carrey abomination, however.

23 Likes

The sad thing is, if they ever manage to end SS they won’t use the money to pay down the debt or fund anything, they’ll inject it straight into the veins of the uber rich.

65 Likes

The Republican plan to save Social Security:

1. Work until you drop.
  2. Drop sooner.
  3. More Oopsies.
39 Likes

Mess with Sovial Security and lose every “old fart” vote.
Goobers seem incapable of remembering this.

33 Likes

"Just last week, former Vice President Mike Pence trotted out the old GOP standby for Social Security: [private accounts.

To its credit, the White House on Monday strongly rejected a GOP ploy to create a commission to consider “reforms” to Social Security and Medicare."

Thank you, Joe Biden!

48 Likes

The Risen story was interesting because it is hard to find an analog in Europe’s fascist experience. In Italy, for example, people tend to bend with political winds, and members of the military rarely got involved in fights between political factions. Here, we have political actors serving in the military moved deeper into the government after a violent insurrection against the state. I really don’t know what to make of it.

31 Likes

She has not impressed on a national level. However, dumping her can create more problems. Switching horses mid-stream is a drastic measure that typically doesn’t work well. That’s without the extra concerns of what he role means for so many people.

26 Likes

Why does the Republican Party hate Social Security, esp. since their base is seniors?

11 Likes

It looks like Senators Rick Scott and Mike Lee are not going to take their punishment quietly, especially Rick Scott. Scott is still going after Mitch McConnell.

19 Likes

Since we’re 20ish comments in w/o a cat pix, here’s my grandfather with a cat and a dog circa 1890s.

55 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available