Republicans Are Forcing Democrats To Deal With Debt Limit Alone. But Will Dems Be Able To Do It?

As a consequence of Republicans’ highly irresponsible game of chicken with the debt ceiling, it’s looking increasingly like Democrats will have to raise the debt limit on their own through reconciliation. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388619

Seems like the obvious solution is the same one that would fix so many other things - elimination or a carve-out of the filibuster. It looks like MoscowMitch is doing everything he can to show Sinema and Manchin why the filibuster needs to go. Once they finally get pushed over that line, maybe voting rights can also be protected.:crossed_fingers:

48 Likes

Democrats need to force as many debt limit votes as possible in the time remaining before the DL is eclipsed demonstrating R’s want to blow up the world economy by refusing to do their job, Then D’s will be forced to end filibuster to prevent catastrophe. It is that easy.

44 Likes

Mitch McConnell is so brazen that he proudly displays his hypocrisy in word and deed.

24 Likes

Welp, good old Mitch has made the unthinkable a matter of routine. The people haven’t punished the GOP for this, the rich funders haven’t either, it seems nobody knows or cares enough. If they do it, if they manage to wreck the global economy out of suicidal spite, we’ll have lived through three major downturns since 2008. Damn shame.

32 Likes

In other news, Margie Three Names’ chief of staff resigned right after her bullying meltdown on the Capitol steps.

Even lackwit Q-ers have standards, it seems.

44 Likes

Of course it’s not necessarily that one incident. She’s often standing around somewhere yelling at people. Schizophrenic street people look at her and say, “You know, that’s really not appropriate.”

37 Likes

Even more other news - a new reason not to walk in floodwater.

20 Likes

From the article, it sounds like anything the Democrats do will result in devastation of the Party, while Republicans get an adjective — “irresponsible” — and electoral victory.

Why does our media do this?

34 Likes

Lets hope for some floodwaters at Mar-e-coli.

13 Likes

Here you are, walking around surveying the damage, saying to yourself, boy, this is terrible, what a flood, things couldn’t possibly get WHOA!

25 Likes

People who understand the debt limit know that this is craven bullshit politics on the Republicans’ part. People who don’t understand the debt limit are not going to be enlightened any time soon.

Democrats need to rip that fucking bandage off, squelch the filibuster for this vote, and move on and get something that actually matters done. People will have completely forgotten about it as soon as something that actually matters comes up for a vote.

And once again, as an Arizonan I want to apologize to the rest of the country for Kristen Sinema. She is greedy, not particularly bright, and is almost as narcissistic as TFG. She is a complete and utter disaster.

40 Likes

More like CHOMP!

6 Likes

Can we get.a few alligators into the Senate GOP caucus room?

7 Likes

The Senate has become “The Circumlocution Office” h/t Charles Dickens.

A politico-diplomatic hocus pocus piece of machinery for the assistance of the nobs in keeping off the snobs

Reform it or lose it.

10 Likes

At last it wasn’t a gatornado. We had a lot of rain up my way, but no gators to speak of.

7 Likes

That won’t happen. If they were willing to bargain, they would have done so already.

5 Likes

Because 90% of the legacy media is run by only 6 major corporations that like tax cuts and a cheap, docile labor force.

32 Likes

O/T in reference to the fraudit report yesterday in my very own county

It seems like we keep making the fatal error of thinking that irrefutable proof is going to make any difference to a diehard Trumper/conspiracy monger. Six months from now countless crazy people (and many not so crazy) will be referring to this debacle and saying “we learned many valuable facts about election integrity from the AZ audit which proved…”

Off topic of the already off topic

Here is what really scares me. I have never owned a gun in my life and have never felt the need to own a gun. But recently I have felt surrounded by open carry idiots in my town - they seem to be everywhere in greater numbers than ever before. I asked my wife if she thought we should get a gun and she said, " Not in a million years." She is keeping me sane. The fact that I am having these thoughts at all seems like some kind of breaking point.

There is an extremely strong violent insurrection smell to the news these days.

29 Likes

My elusive dream:

image t

Edited & Corrected.

23 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available