Reports: Trump Intends To Nominate Amy Coney Barrett To Supreme Court

And her whole thing is that she stands for making private religious morality into the polestar of government. By accepting the nomination she basically repudiates everything she claims to stand for.

I don’t think SCOTUS will get into unless it’s a dire situation. Once on that Court they don’t need Trump for anything. I don’t see Roberts or Gorsuch putting Trump back in the Oval Office if he does not need or has not earned the right to be there. If Barrett were to vote yea on Trump so close to her being seated by him she’ll be a pariah in the history of the law. If SCOTUS pulls a 2000 this year the USA will boil. If they put Trump in after an obvious loss it will explode and they’ll open themselves up to impeachment.

1 Like

I’m late to this thread, but I found this article interesting - and somewhat comforting. While I’m all about BALANCING THE COURT (lets not use ‘packing’ that’s what McConnell did) - I’m also taking some heart in how congress can do an end run around the court’s power. Even if Biden succumbs to his old-school reach-across-the-aisle ‘comity’ position, and refrains from BALANCING THE COURT - there are still options.

But just because we’re nice, let’s give them less work to do. Article III, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, enumerating the powers of the judiciary, contains this little gem: “In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.” That gives the Congress the power to limit which laws are subject to judicial review, and “under such regulations,” how they are reviewed. I personally see a lot of opportunity for congressional meddling in the powers of the judiciary — as in, stripping away its powers.

Here’s the fallacy of the Republican Party’s strategy of converting the courts into a political battleground. The legitimacy of the Supreme Court and every other court depends on its decisions being respected by the Congress, the president and the people. Let’s try withholding our respect for a change.

Chivalry is dead - McConnell killed it the time for playing ‘gentlemans agreement’ is gone. Time to game the system.

2 Likes

Since I wasn’t referring to the man himself but rather virtually every legislative accomplishment and policy instituted over 8 years, I don’t have to do that because you know as well as I do that they’re trashed, or just about to be.

The man is doing fine. Everything the man accomplished in office? Not so much.

But you already knew that.

I don’t disagree entirely with the idea. Nukes require nukes in response.

That said, that little gem’s gonna chew your backside off in two or four years when the pendulum swings back and the GOP controls the field again.

Because I am under no delusion that the GOP is dead. Let them not get elected to squat for a decade, then I might buy it.

She will be yesterday’s news by the time her nomination is announced. He wants the attention of the world when she is introduced but he’s blown it. No one will tune in because everyone knows.

1 Like

Also, I suspect few will tune in for the simple fact that her rollout will be like everyone else’s. Trump talks about himself for 20 minutes, he introduces her, then she talks about him for 20 minutes.

The same reason that even his MAGAts start filing out of the arena after 45 min: there’s no new act.

2 Likes

That’s mostly my thinking too.

I still hold out for the fat motherfucker resigning or dropped dead first though.

2 Likes

I’m rather fond of option 2 but I suppose I should keep quiet about it.

1 Like

It’s everybody’s preferred option. Keep hope alive - one never knows.

Literally, perhaps. Metaphorically, she’s ahead by orders of magnitude.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t Putin want his citizens to have gu—?

Oh.

2 Likes

Watch Portland today because it could get ugly real ugly.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/25/portland-oregon-proud-boys-rally/

I wish they’d put the blame where it belongs then if it does.

She looks like a Stepford wife.

Ms. Barrett’s friends at ND law school say she has a brilliant legal mind. Who cares about that when people need health care?

So what connections does this group have to other Far Right groups like QAnon and the KKK? The emphasis by People of Praise in belittling women…and their shopping habits…was particularly ridiculous.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amy-coney-barrett-spotlight-falls-122935523.html

Another reason why we need to press for finalizing the ERA.

Just saw a photo of her and her family. She has a black son, adopted, I assume. Wow. Watch Repubs accuses Dems of racism in opposing her. They hate mixed families and black people!

The Nazis had brilliant lawyers too.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that would fly at this point. Perhaps in the early days of the republic, when judicial review was still an open book. Now, any such law would be struck down as unconstitutional. Don’t ask me how. They’ll just do it. It’s a catch-22. The only solution is adding 4 liberals.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available