Reports: Trump Intends To Nominate Amy Coney Barrett To Supreme Court

President Trump reportedly intends to nominate Amy Coney Barrett to fill the seat of the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died a week ago at age 87.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334452
1 Like

Horrible. Welcome to the “Handmaids Tale”.

18 Likes

A shameless partisan, as far as she is concerned there are Republican Justices…They should play this tape during her confirmation. Ask her if if she is not worried that the most Liberal member of the court is being replaced by someone that could alter the balance of the court.

14 Likes

Oh no…you’ve robbed donnie of his special “The Bachelor” style rose ceremony. He will be crushed. Sad.

9 Likes

Any election-related issue Trump has tied to the Supreme Court is now something she should promise to recuse from. That would include everything.

19 Likes

Is she worse than Brett (buy me a drink) Kavanaugh?

6 Likes

Now, what kind of jurist would allow herself to be nominated by an impeached, morally corrupt and criminal scumbag to the Supreme Court?

Oh yeah: a Republican one.

Gorsuch, accused sexual assaulter Brah Kavanaugh and now this sow: a corrupt triumvirate if there ever was one.

15 Likes

Don’t you see the crazy eyes? And really, I find Religious loons much more dangerous than drunks.

14 Likes

He’s done it.

4 Likes

For a party of evangelical bigots, it’s interesting that the GOP gets the real feels up their leg from Catholic jurists.

8 Likes

The press and Democrats are framed as focusing on Abortion Rights / a woman’s right to choose…and ACA… and those are important.
However, there are a host of Civil Rights this candidate is on record opposing and deserve scrutiny, challenges.

Adoption by same-sex parents
Marriage equality
LGBTQ rights
Equal employment / Workplace protection
…

25 Likes

It’s beginning to look a lot like 2000.

5 Likes

I’d also like to know how she feels about the fossil fuel industry. Haven’t found anything on that, and this is the kind of issue that really means something to the people who have bought the Republican party. Fossil fuels and corporations as people are key to passing the true right wing litmus tests. Abortion and all the other civil rights issue (excluding voting rights) are just the honey trap for the proles.

10 Likes

I got a lot of flack for suggesting that Ginsberg should have retired when she had the opportunity under President Obama. Apparently, it was something Obama was hoping she would consider since she was already a two time cancer survivor. Now everything she stood for is on the line. The republicans are good at this game. Look what they did with Justice Kennedy by getting him to retire. The Democrats can no longer afford these strategic blunders. It may already be too late.

12 Likes

Torquemada would be right at home in today’s Evangelical movement. Catholic bigots are as mean-spirited as the evangelical ones.

15 Likes

Health Care. Health Care. Health Care.

That’s what won for the Dems in 2018.

Question her on that one, on Roberts’ take upholding the ACA as a tax, etc.

People need to see we’ll need new health care laws to get past the court with her on it, and the only way to do that is to win the Senate.

14 Likes

Worst possible person. Every . Time.

20 Likes

The difference is that the Democrats still believe in an independent Judiciary, the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

2 Likes

No doubt, I just expected more cross bigotry. I guess that is where this group of know nothings succeeded, managing to row in the same direction for a while.

1 Like

Catholics have a traditional of justifying dogma in legalistic doctrine which plays well in the judicial world, while Evangelicals can only fall back on “God said so.”

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available