Reports: Hutchinson Received Warning Calls Trying To Pressure Her Before Testimony

Cassidy Hutchinson, the former aide to ex-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows who’s provided explosive testimony to the House Jan. 6 Committee, privately testified that she received several menacing calls ahead of her interview with the committee, according to multiple outlets.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1422474

Start…

18 Likes

“Voluntary misdirection.”

20 Likes

Witness tampering does not have to be a threat. Just the calling of a witness ahead of a date to testify is problematic for a subject or target of a Federal investigation to do. This was clearly an attempt to shape Hutchinson’s testimony which is witness tampering.

89 Likes

She or her old lawyers let on that her mind had changed since her testimony began. Really, what’s the difference between early recordings and live TV? A whole lot of bravery. It comes across as more legitimate.

29 Likes

Williamson told Politico. “Any phone call or message she is describing is at best deeply misleading.”

So he admits the phone calls happened. So ya, lets go with “deeply misleading”.

68 Likes

Politico reports that the redacted “person” was Meadows.

The dude could have stayed in Congress with his gerrymandered, safe R seat. But no. He had to hop aboard the Trump ship. Now he looks destined to do time.

86 Likes

Surprised no one has yet done a linguistic evaluation of the words in the Trump sounding one. Surely we have a lot of Jason Miller’s speech pattern on file.

28 Likes

“No one from Meadows’ camp, himself or otherwise, has ever attempted to intimidate or shape Ms. Hutchinson’s testimony to the committee,” Williamson told Politico. “Any phone call or message she is describing is at best deeply misleading.”

That’s the classic response, right? He doesn’t say “BS, nobody from the Meadows’ camp has called or contacted Hutchinson regarding her testimony.” That, as Dan points out, would be a flat out denial (true or not).

Instead, he denies anyone “attempted to intimidate or shape” her testimony, which is a denial of intent, not of fact. That response confirms for me that Meadows and/or others has been engaged in tampering.

91 Likes

Seems like at this point the whole crew sees that it’s jail or limp all the way to full GOP control of everything. What a dangerous moment.

53 Likes

Actually should have said “Voluntary intimation.”

12 Likes

I was puzzled at that choice, made by Meadows, myself.

13 Likes

Lest we forget, Meadows likely committed voter fraud in the 2020 election when he submitted an absentee ballot listing as his residence a mobile home at which he never lived:

Meadows, a former congressman, sold his home in Sapphire, North Carolina in March 2020 before moving to a townhouse in Virginia near Washington, D.C. to begin his position at the White House, the New Yorker reports. As former President Donald Trump’s chief of staff, Meadows regularly voiced false claims that Trump lost the 2020 election due to widespread voter fraud. Neighbors and the former owner of the North Carolina trailer told the New Yorker there is no evidence Meadows purchased or ever lived at the residence, where he voted absentee in the 2020 election. North Carolina election officials removed Meadows from the active voter list earlier this month after they found documentation that he voted in the 2021 election in Virginia.

56 Likes

Meadows should know better especially when his party is braying over voter fraud. Is he circulating a GoFundMe for legal expenses yet? He’s going to be racking up some hellacious bills.

33 Likes

I think it is very important for the MSM to transcribe what “spokesmen” for people who are refusing to testify say they’d say if they weren’t refusing to testify. I believe that the special thoughts relayed through “persons close to,” “speaking for” or “familiar with the thoughts of” people facing criminal jeopardy are so especially credible and disinterested that it is imperative that we hear them. Because Balance.

60 Likes

I’m hoping he goes the Rudy route, and gets his own line of MyPillow sandals for fundraising.

11 Likes

Meadows is not shy about using any means to intimidate.

28 Likes

I noticed a disturbing comment on twitter yesterday. It has a kind of trenchant and sardonic humor to it and although I don’t entirely agree with it and I hesitate to reproduce it, it’s left an impression on me.

Well … there it is.

44 Likes

The warning calls are scary. But, for me, just as scary is the normalization. And the Right has nudged the needle a little more toward more public acceptance of Trump Era Politics.

44 Likes

This is a mob trial. Anyone going against the mob is going to get threats.

I am not surprised and no one else should be either.

Find those that are doing this and throw them in jail and lose the key.

60 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available