Report: Trump Wants His Signature On Direct Payment Checks From Coronavirus Package

When I tried to buy a Datsun 510 (back in the 70s-80s high gasoline prices), the dealer had added pinstripes and fake wire wheel hubcaps in an attempt to pad the sticker price. That was the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

It was just meant to be. You have an affinity for them. Agree on the not needing a car—or certainly not needing the particular heap they’re trying to unload on you. I make it clear I know where the door is and will happily use it.

1 Like

First case was a guy who may have gotten it in Colorado. Another of the first cases was - surprise, surprise - picked up during a Spring break trip and brought back to town.

2 Likes

Too dark? Seems a little bit up tempo to me. But, I do love Mose Allison.

On my first visit to the Northeast, I started to wonder if everyone was required to buy a Subaru.

My friend is disconcerted by the shut-off during idle, but apparently you can’t turn that off.

1 Like

Just to reiterate. No. You can’t let that asshole get away with anything, especially if it’s a campaign commercial. He’s going to have a letter of some sort going out with his name to let you know you’re getting a check. That’s what that postcard thing was, a dry run.

You can’t stop fighting trump or republicans because they never, ever, stop. It’s not that they are great warriors, it’s that they don’t have anything else in their miserable petty lives to live for except power and money.

3 Likes

Trump’s backing down on the Federally mandated quarantine order for New York state.

Winning!

1 Like
1 Like

I assume you’re talking about line [1].

It’s not precisely stated but here’s sort of what it means:

Correct: Trump’s being such an embarrassment irks us all.
  Correct: His being such an embarrassment irks us all.
  Incorrect: Him being such an embarrassment irks us all.

In these sentences, “being” is the gerund: it’s an -ing form used as a noun. Notice the possessive that correctly precedes it.

Here’s another set:

Incorrect: Trump should be in jail without me having to ask over and over.
  Correct: Trump should be in jail without my having to ask over and over.

As for that line [2]:

The “always” is … an over-statement. There are exceptions.

2 Likes

If only car enthusiasts had found a way to prevent the warming of the planet!

2 Likes

Right. They certainly aren’t busy governing, or doing their homework, or helping plan good works or making communities better; you know - any of the things folks on the Left have as bedrock principles. They are doing ‘homework’ and they are ‘busy’; but it is with things opposite of what sane, rational, public servants would be doing.

3 Likes

I bought a brand-new Chevy Volt for (after Fed Hybrid rebate) about $22k
It took me longer than I meant, but after a couple years I had built a 6 x 370W ground-mounted solar array on the side of my garage and 12 golf-cart batteries that can charge my Volt to about 50% of my electric use year round. The rest of the electricity comes from the grid. Whole solar/battery arrangement cost under $4k…built it myself or it would have been more.

I say about 50% of my electricity from solar because I drive 70 miles a day. Chevy Volt 2013 only has about 35 miles of battery range. I burn thru that 35 miles of battery everyday. When I used to work here in town, and hope to again…I will be driving about 10 miles a day and my solar arrangement could provide ALL my motive power. If every garage in the US had it’s majority surface covered in solar panels (many more than my 6 panels) homeowners could be powering most of our personal transportation. For everyone driving less than 70 miles a day, a good chunk of your home electric use would be covered as well. Perhaps all of it. We average around 24 kwh here at my household meter (with electric dryer, electric stove/range). The Chevy Volt 2013 takes about 12 kwh to charge. I suspect I am pulling 6 kwh daily average from the grid for The Volt and that means my home use (non-transportation) is more like 18 kwh daily. I live in WI. The side of my garage is not optimal, and neither is my house’s alignment so I don’t have a lot of sq. ft. of rooftop pointing due south. And it still makes a lot of power and reduces my carbon footprint significantly. When my car is topped off (weekends usually), it runs my garage freezer and some landscaping lights, etc. and can serve as emergency power indefinitely. Unlike a generator which needs gas or diesel fill-ups. I didn’t put all the money and effort into making it a whole-home auto cut-off backup power system, but it can be useful in an emergency or a long-term outage.

The Volt is a very sporty car and goes like hell.

3 Likes

Really appreciate the comment, especially all the helpful details!

2 Likes

Here I am after hooking it all up without electrocuting myself or starting electrical fires:

It certainly took some determination and some work, but I am no electrician nor solar expert.

2 Likes

All the more reason to admire – not to mention follow! – your example.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t afford a Tesla. Besides, that just offloads the pollution elsewhere if you charge from the grid instead of what dicktater is doing. Solar panels don’t work that great up here in the rainy PNW. And then there’s the ugly battery replacement/disposal problem. We’ll get there eventually, but low or zero-emission cars haven’t crossed the cost/benefit curve for everyone yet.

Anyway, the start-stop “feature” on the Subaru can’t be disabled permanently, but there’s a switch to shut it off for each drive, then it resets. I’m just training myself to hit that switch after starting the car every time. This is probably the last car we ever buy, so I plan to run it into the ground. Start-stop at intersections puts extra wear on the starter motor, and if that motor ever fails, I want it to be in a parking lot or at home, not in the middle of a busy intersection.

1 Like

Yes, they’re still more expensive than the alternatives – but that’s only because those alternatives run with much of the cost externalized. The owner doesn’t pay the cost directly; instead the owner (or the “system”) forces all of us to pay it, and our children and grandchildren after us.

Gorgeous body, all her life. She worked hard to keep it that way. Would that she had worked as hard as becoming an actor.

1 Like

She was a fine singer and a not too bad actress, and this came through in The Man Who Knew Too Much where she sang what could become our anthem Que sera sera.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I had only a very vague recollection of what a gerund was!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available