Report: Trump Suggested Sending American COVID Victims To Guantanamo Early In Pandemic

whistling

10 Likes

Iā€™m so damned old, I remember back when COVID-19 was still ā€œnewā€; and no one understood very much about it, and the first cases started appearing in Washington State, and the Federal Government actually interfered with local medical providers, trying to prevent any testing, so they could avoid having any cases of COVID-19 identified in the United States.

28 Likes

I know this is kind of out there, but sometimes it almost seems as if Mr. Trump may not be quite as wise and compassionate in reality as he appears to be.

20 Likes

Well, like Tommy Udo, but lacking his grace, class, and basic human decency.

12 Likes

Sort of like when you hoped that burning sensation would go away.

4 Likes

Iā€™m more amazed at THAT MANā€™s comment ā€œwe import goods, not a virusā€. Whatever happened to Make America Great Again? Wasnā€™t returning manufacturing jobs to the U S of A part of the plan?

7 Likes

I recall Kern County early in the pandemic. No testing. Zero. Everybody was still FedEx-ing to Stephen at the CDC for a 4-day turnaround. Maybe. By the time I was actually infected in late March, there was some testing (Qwest Diagnostics), but turnaround had increased to 8-10 days. the local hospital still was just getting covid protocols together. Masking was beginning to become commonplace. The Guantanmo idea Trump throws out in February was a just a typical not-too-bright Trumpy attempt to sweep things under the rug. However, his lament about testing is simply unforgivable. The PCR test kits were in reasonable distribution in numerous countries already in early February. It still is amazing that the public sector response was so poor in the case of the US, especially given that the first part of the pandemic is when the whole system has to mobilize quickly. Trump was suggesting his willingness to kill 900,000 Americans. And he did.

23 Likes

Netflix should have a Richard Widmark channel. Seriously.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Another excerpt from WaPo:

Trumpā€™s top deputies adopted a similar strategy of issuing threats or isolating their rivals, undermining efforts to manage the outbreak, Abutaleb and Paletta write.

Kadlec, who had overseen the purchase of 600 million masks, took the plan in late March to Kushner ā€” who exploded in anger, throwing his pen against the wall in frustration when he learned the masks would not arrive until June.

ā€œYou fā€”ing moron,ā€ Kushner reportedly said. ā€œWeā€™ll all be dead by June.ā€

Thanks, Jared. For nothing.

24 Likes

TBH, that really only bothers me when I have to pee, otherwise itā€™s not that big a deal; Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be fine.

5 Likes

ā€œThe former president hadnā€™t kept his grievances with testing quiet; he often publicly blamed testing for the exploding cases across the country rather than acknowledging his and his administrationā€™s negligent response to the pandemic that caused the spike in the first place.ā€

Remarkable. SO illogical that it defies both logic AND illogic.

19 Likes

Back in Feb. of 2020 I flew to my fatherā€™s funeral in Phoenix. Getting on the plane in StL there was a young man with a gaiter on. I thought geeze. And now Iā€™m sorry.
Part of what didnā€™t happen under Trump was acknowledging what a pandemic is, or could be. And two not understanding the psychology of getting a message out. Response to the burgeoning pandemic did not take into account the differences between urban and rural. But the biggest mistake was thinking and counting on Americans to understand the scientific process and update their thinking when new info became available.

12 Likes

WITH A STRONG CASE OF COVID ā€¦

Americans still think itā€™s a miracle sugar cubes dissolve in hot coffee.

11 Likes

Exactly. I came to make the same point.

2 Likes

Once again from the former guy: ā€œIt is all about me, how would I look?ā€

5 Likes

so, if this were about infected cruise ships early in 2020, it might have made some sense to get people onto land but not mainland.

2 Likes

This is not just a Trump problem but a Republican problem.

That is how many people are dead because to quote Donald Trump, ā€œGeorge W Bush lied America into a disastrous war in Iraqā€.

The point being the only thing Bush and Trump really have in common is who their supporters hate.

8 Likes

Yeah, well, thatā€™s easy to say when you donā€™t even know the person. :smile:

Seriously I wonder if Iā€™ll ever quite accept the full reality of a president so insane he thought if you did nothing and simply didnā€™t count the numbers of the sick during a pandemic he could avoid having to take any responsibility for it. If you canā€™t see it itā€™s gone, the way an infant thinks about reality.

40 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available