Report: Santos Tells House GOP He Will Recuse Himself From House Committee Seats

Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has reportedly recused himself from serving on any House committees, according to several reports.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446777

Nice work if you can get it.

22 Likes

After he recused himself, Rep George Anthony Devolder Kitara Santos (R-Fatfuckingliarandia) started looking for flights to Brazil.

11 Likes

This surely is the beginning of the end for our George.

20 Likes

MTG has shown you don’t need to be on committees to be successful in Congress.

21 Likes

I’m going to offer my boss to recuse myself from the work part of my job

38 Likes

He indeed got taken to the woodshed.

10 Likes

Having seen what my former Congressman M. “Hell on Wheels” Cawthorn was, it was better he never even pretended to be interested in committees, or legislation or constituent service.

28 Likes

The scandal-plagued freshman told House Republicans that he’ll be taking a step back because “he’s a distraction,” an anonymous lawmaker told the Washington Post. The announcement was made in a closed GOP conference on Tuesday morning.

LOL. Too late to attempt a low profile.

29 Likes

An heroic attempt to not sully himself further?

5 Likes

I feel like he just discovered there was actual work involved in being a Rep, not just free healthcare and parties.

29 Likes

Those committee meeting are super boring anyway, there are much better ways of wasting your time.

11 Likes

This does not stop Law Enforcement people.

22 Likes

My guess is the relevant committee chairs told McCarthy we don’t want the media attention we’re going to get from Santos asking questions.
Get rid of him now.

27 Likes

So… who does this protect?
I assume the Repugs. Less chance for Santos to make splashy lies (in an official setting).
I don’t see how it is to his benefit. Maybe he is about to be cut loose.

6 Likes

The Congressman With a Thousand Names (CTN) made his announcement after a meeting with Speaker-in-name-only McQarthy. I’m going read those tea leaves and conclude that Qevin told the CTN to chill out for a while and keep a very low profile.

This is evidence for something I did not believe to exist: some sort of standards of behavior from Qevin that apply to Republican members.

10 Likes

Santos didn’t learn the core lesson of Trump–never back down, on anything, for any reason, ever. He showed weakness, so now he’s toast. Sad.

13 Likes

Members of Congress do not receive free healthcare.

18 Likes

That’s the rub…Kevin has no standards…there may be some felony raps cummin’ down the Pike.

20 Likes

It’s smart of the Republicans to get him out of the main spotlight but keep him there for the votes. Smart if you are a complete nihilist who only cares about power, of course. I am not sure about the procedural details, but it seems to me like Democrats should file a discharge petition to remove him from congress, and run ads linking any Republican who doesn’t sign on to kicking out the con man from Long Island.

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available