Report Reveals Alleged Actions Of Capitol Police Officers Facing Jan. 6 Discipline | Talking Points Memo

A report published Tuesday night sheds light on the alleged actions of some of the six Capitol Police officers facing disciplinary action for their behavior during the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1387482
1 Like

Jail time is warranted for the Capitol PD officer who disclosed the location of legislators.

51 Likes

The officer’s friend reportedly told Capitol Police in an interview that he and the officer had been friends for 40 years, but that the officer “says enough concerning statements that I feel like I need to do this… he’s just fallen into this cult and these beliefs.” The officer denied being sympathetic to the rioters’ cause.

I’m much more inclined to believe your friend of 40 years concerning your politics than I am to believing your denial, officer.

46 Likes

its “defuse”

14 Likes

And what crime would that be? Or would you just prefer generalized bloodlust?

2 Likes

One officer accused of improper dissemination of information — for allegedly talking with a friend about the secure location to which lawmakers were evacuated within the Capitol — said he couldn’t deny the allegation.

“I can’t say one hundred percent that I didn’t do what you’re telling me I did,” the officer, a Protective Services Bureau special agent, reportedly told investigators.

I would think that in his training they would have covered why one wouldn’t tell individuals in a large mass of people demanding to hang Mike Pence, or other elected to office person’s whereabouts. Especially if the situation demanded that all elected to office people be removed from their place of work to a secure location. There has to be some kind of punishment for blabbing.

23 Likes

Yes, and he’s getting punished for blabbing. Now do you have a criminal charge that seems applicable to the conduct, or are you just in favor of generalized bloodlust for the criminal codes?

7 Likes

I can muster some level of sympathy for the selfie-taking officers who must have felt overwhelmed by the sheer number of terrorist insurrectionists pouring into the Rotunda. (Unfortunate as it is that their lack of resistance was used as propaganda by the Trumpists to play down the true level of violence on that dark day.)

But when the longtime friend of the officer spilling details of the secure location feels that he’s fallen under the spell of some cult - that’s a glaring red flag right there.

33 Likes

The officer’s friend reportedly told Capitol Police in an interview that he and the officer had been friends for 40 years, but that the officer “says enough concerning statements that I feel like I need to do this… he’s just fallen into this cult and these beliefs.”

Wow. I have a couple friends of 40 years and can appreciate how hard this had to have been, and how far gone his friend must be for him to have come forward.

34 Likes

I don’t know, I’m not a lawyer in Texas. Start with reckless endangerment and go from there. I also imagine that his employment contract stipulates not leaking confidential/classified/sensitive information. If whistleblowers can be busted for leaking information why can’t fellow travelers and Fifth Columnists?

26 Likes

Settle down, I didn’t say there was a criminal charge to be made, but that punishment is warranted. And maybe there will be a law written to cover this behavior for future events.

14 Likes

I’m not even going to bother looking up whether D.C. even has a statute called “reckless endangerment” because it’s pretty obviously not recklessly endangering anyone to leak the location to a person who does not want to cause the members any harm.

Because the person to whom you leak the information surely won’t tell anyone else. Is that your argument, that it’s not leaking information if the person to whom the information is leaked is unlikely to find it actionable?

9 Likes

Aiding and abetting a crime? Accomplice to a crime? They were trespassing and destroying government property.

6 Likes

Is it your argument that it’s a crime? Show me the fucking statute.

1 Like

What is up with Prime Members F-bombing when someone challenges them? Lighten up, Francis.

24 Likes

No, no, and not relevant to any crime on the part of Officer Blabbylips. Thanks for playing.

1 Like

The very definition of flimsy

The unnamed officer later said he’d posed with the suspect because he recognized him as an “alpha male” in the riots and wanted to have the photo to be able to identify him later. The internal documents note, however, that the officer apparently made no attempt to collect the suspect’s information.

seriously deluded or what???

How do you identify an alpha male? I’m sure he wasn’t projecting because he seems more gamma to me.

Hopefully I’m not projecting now. :face_with_monocle:

15 Likes

Not one of your best arguments to be honest.

He could have leaked to multiple people. That one of the guys he told reported it to the FBI doesn’t negate the fact that operational security was blown.

Even if accidental, unintentional, and eventually harmless, this is a big deal.

21 Likes

And yet nobody is bothering to show me a statute that would make the conduct criminal.

Fire his ass. Revoke his pension. My point is entirely that it’s not a criminal offense (unless someone comes up with a statute criminalizing it, which of course there isn’t any).

ETA: Oh, and per the Daily Beast story, Officer McBlabbylips disclosed the secret location a week after the insurrection. Still a bad thing for a cop to do (what else is new), but obviously not a crime unless and until someone comes up with a statute criminalizing it (which there obviously isn’t one).

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available