Report: Pentagon Brass Privately Discussing What To Do If Trump Invokes Insurrection Act | Talking Points Memo

Good, I say. It’s purely symbolic, anyway. Hopefully, the stage will be Republican-free but have 15 reserved seats for SC justices to attend.

I also think Biden’s peoppe should skip the whole transition team thing (which begins a lot earlier than people know) except to hand out subpoenas.

Oh yeah, and have Hillary swear him in.

Sigh. There is no such thing as “seizing the presidency” in this country. It is not in the experience of this country to rely on military coups or military “administrations” as a caretaker government. We are civilized: we only do that in other countries.

2 Likes

At least Morning Edition sprinkles almost every sentence with phrases that call out the lying – “which is not factual,” “not supported by evidence,” “contradictory to what he said last week,” “misquoted [an expert],” etc.

2 Likes

The Media Whores will adhere to the Les Moonves Principle to the very end, all while pulling their martyr routine they love to bank on to get gullible reactionaries to subscribe to their papers as defenders of the First Amendment.

It’s all a game for these f*cking jerks.

You need to read:

1. The Constitution
  2. The Insurrection Act of 1807 (10 USC §§ 251–255)
    which empowers the U.S. president to call into service the U.S. Armed Forces and the National Guard:
  • when requested by a state’s legislature, or governor if the legislature cannot be convened, to address an insurrection against that state (§ 251),
  • to address an insurrection, in any state, which makes it impracticable to enforce the law (§ 252), or
  • to address an insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination or conspiracy, in any state, which results in the deprivation of Constitutionally-secured rights, and where the state is unable, fails, or refuses to protect said rights (§ 253).

There is so much misinformation packed into this one paragraph that it is difficult to decide where to start to sort it out.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think is Commander in Chief of the armed forces during peacetime?

I seem to remember that when I was a kid, the Stars and Stripes was flown only by public buildings. Government offices, military installations, public schools, … Even for 4th of July celebrations, people decorated with bunting, not flags. Maybe small flags for kids to wave at the parade.

2 Likes

I’m so glad to know that. I haven’t listened since I quit working a million years ago. I am going by some of their content at night on PBS.

4 Likes

That’s what I remember too.

If I may foot-stomp the psychological war: HELL YES! Trump forces the country’s head into a speaker for a 24/7 full volume Rush Limbaugh/Jeff Beck hate radio show. Trump’s secret sauce on all this Ignorance Stupidity and Venality burger is the forbidden White Supremacy Permission Slip Sauce. So now America, now that you have to live with this in the god damn White House, how do you like it?

Dear Leader Josh M opined recently about ‘future seeing’- what we seen and know today being much more clear and obvious in the future. Today we know Trump will never be a generally popular president and with his recent BS about voting and “riggging” while the law is finally catching up to him there is just no way in hell things get better for him. It will only get worse. And with the passing of the Notorious One, may the Gender Gap open into the Gender Canyon into which we all push the shriveled husk of the Nixon -Reagan (“Eleven most dangerous word”)- Bush (useless criminal unpaid wars) fascist war party down into it. All Trump’s got going is his Rush Limbaugh Show schtick. He’s losing bigly on ALL other fronts.

Sadly, White Supremacist violence is so baked into the American political cake, that the prospect (as per Rick Perlstein dedication in ‘Nixonland’) of Americans killing other Americans is very high. But what ever comes by the way of the “Tree of Life”/ Timothy McVeigh killers, it will not be sustained.

1 Like

probably will be already snuggled into a penthouse hotel suite in Moscow

Or his Robert Bork.

1 Like

FIFY

1 Like

OT the best part about privatizing the VA…is the opportunities for grift.

…the President should send federal forces to seize ballots in Nevada.

WTF?? For a democratic republic, that is the worst possible abuse of power imaginable. Straight from the twisted mind of Roger Stone, advisor to the president*…?

Because of course, that’s what the role of the presi… er, unitary execu… um, Putinista is all about, right? Manhandling elections whose results we don’t like. Next thing you know, they’ll be stocking up on Polonium Tea.

Who knew? Thank you, Mr. Stone, for enlightening us…

He already found his Roy Cohn. It’s William Barr.

1 Like

I can only imagine the kind of asinine ideas the brass have had to entertain from trumpp and dissuade him from in strong but simple terms. They would know what he’s capable of if he had the power at his disposal. I can’t believe we’re even discussing the eventuality of the military having to step in to save our democracy from trumpp and his minions. Jesus…

1 Like

Very likely there is a conservative interpretation of the Constitution that does not require the outcome of the election to be followed or prevents the establishment of a monarchy.

Quick someone call Johnny Yoo or recall Tony Scalia from the great beyond. They will write a legal opinion to allow Skanky Turdface, his Queen Iwanka and their spawn to rule our fair land for ever.

Agreed, absolutely.

1 Like

He’s playing you and you’re letting him. You’re falling right into his trap. He’s living rent-free inside your head. Don’t let him do that. Evict the motherfucker.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that DoJ has such direct jurisdiction over strictly military matters. That’s a whole other legal process and system that only falls under DoJ’s jurisdiction if statutory laws are broken. I don’t know that this would be that. There are UCMJ prosecutors and judges and they’ll handle it.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available