Report: Pentagon Brass Privately Discussing What To Do If Trump Invokes Insurrection Act | Talking Points Memo

Top military brass have spoken privately about what to do should President Donald Trump order them into the streets as election results are tallied, The New York Times reported Friday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334196
2 Likes

Resignation by theJCoS would be a disservice to the nation as it would just allow Trump to install others to do his bidding. They should publicly refuse to obey an illegal order and order troops not to follow those directions.

113 Likes

I certainly hope they are thinking seriously about it. A failure to plan is a plan to fail, especially when the stakes are stratospherically high…

38 Likes

Rather than the CJCS stepping down, make the donald fire him. And he refuses to step down until it is in writing, for specific reasons, and signed by IMPOTUS. And each replacement does the same. It makes for a very public support from the military of being apolitical AND supporting and defending the Constitution and rule of law. Otherwise, the Republic will have been lost to an idiot.

50 Likes

Agree. What good does it do for Milley to resign? Trump would welcome it and his successor would follow the order. If Trump gives such an order, Milley and the rest of the military brass should refuse, contact Congress and hold a presser exposing Trump.

34 Likes

The Joint Chiefs of Staff should have their phones ready to live stream a training video on “How to Defy an Illegal Order.”

28 Likes

If Trump gives such an order Milley is going to obey, not doing it will amount to a coup.

Whatever the Pentagon does, it should not, in turn, award Trump more power. In a sense, I am glad that this is being discussed, and as early as it is.

There are too many people who still do not realize how dangerous Trump is. If they did, Trump would only hold the reddest of states, as voters.

32 Likes

No. It will be the opposite of a coup. It will be part of the military’s mission: upholding the Constitution.
They serve the country, not the President.
Let’s be very, very clear on that.
First principles for the military involve knowing they are there to defend US civilians, not to engage them. And they are there for all of us, and our country.

Everything they have said in opposition to Trump’s attempt to use them as his personal toy soldiers has demonstrated that they are not and will not be in his pocket. They are holding steady. mho.

That is why Trump/Barr have been forced into using their cosplay military from DHS/ICE. And we saw how well that went. The military held steady, and continued pushback towards Trump at that time. I was watching very carefully.

89 Likes

Wrong.

34 Likes

I’m less concerns about Trump’s threats, most of which I believe will prove to be empty and entirely intended to intimidate Dems, force them to back down or make mistakes or focus on the wrong threats, and saw chaos, confusion, fear and defeatism among Americans. He’s waging a psychological war of words not backed by substance, but that can be damaging in itself. He will, most likely, lose both the popular and EC vote, as well as any meaningful court battles, and fail to win reelection.

But I fear the chaos, instability and violence that may well ensue between the election and certification, and the further damage it’ll do to our national consciousness, respect for and confidence in the system, and our most important and powerful institutions like the courts, military and law enforcement. In losing the election, he might destroy our democracy, in destroying respect for and belief in it, so that Biden’s win could well be like Lincoln’s, presaging a civil war of sorts.

And even if not, around 40% of Americans will reject the results for years and stew in their resentment and rage, and many of them own guns and belong to militias, white supremacist groups and the like–not to mention the military and law enforcement–and may well plot violent revenge. Biden will have his hands full dealing with them. But, better all that than another 4 years of this piece of human shit.

Also, I hope the military brass refuse such orders and let him fire them instead of resigning. It would delay carrying them out, perhaps long enough to avoid much horrific damage.

73 Likes

The only option to preserve the republic beyond this election is for the military, upon any such order from Trump, to support a caretaker government. The choice may be short-term military government, or long-term fascism. Both options are “wrong.” One is far more wrong than the other.

7 Likes

If Trump issues such an order and the military refuses to obey it as being illegal, democracy will win, in the short run.

In the long run, this will create a situation where the real power resides in the Praetorian Guard. Remember, the Romans were happy when they deposed Caligula, but thereafter they were the real power.

2 Likes

The military is obligated to NOT follow an unlawful order. Resignation is the easy way out. Refusing the order is their responsibility.

32 Likes

The Uniform Code of Military Justice actually protects the soldier in this situation as he/she has a moral and legal obligation to the Constitution and not to obey unlawful orders and the people who issue them.
These have to be strong examples of a direct violation of the Constitution and the UCMJ and not the military member’s own opinion.
It depends on the order. Military members disobey orders at their own risk. They also obey orders at their own risk. An order to commit a crime is unlawful. An order to perform a military duty, no matter how dangerous, is lawful as long as it doesn’t involve the commission of a crime. .

34 Likes

It is the duty of the Military to uphold their oath. Let’s hope that there are enough of them who still realize that.

10 Likes

Resigning is the wrong move. Saying NO is what must be done. Otherwise you just get a series of resignations until you get to the asshole willing to say YES.

49 Likes

My first reaction as well.
Stay in there, and simply refuse.
Keep their power to guide a peaceful transition as we await a definitive outcome.
They are the only lever of power other than the House that it seems Trump has not been able to subvert. mho.

14 Likes

Not quite uphold… support and defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic. (hi, I see you, don)

I am hashtag-susan-collins #concerned about a lot of things, but coherent and organized actions by the US military against US civilians isn’t actually one of them.

10 Likes

The military has excellent lawyers all well-versed in con law, so the generals, colonels and majors who courageously and patriotically refuse such orders will have legal support in the event that they are given such orders. Some might have to stand courts martial, but they should prevail.

25 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available