Report: McCarthy Worried About Having To Testify On Trump Call In Front Of Potential 1/6 Commission

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is reportedly worried about at least one thing in particular if Congress successfully put together a bipartisan commission to study the Capitol insurrection on January 6: Being forced to share under oath his allegedly explosive communications with then-President Donald Trump on that day.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1372927
1 Like

He’s like the sad-sack B-player who gets killed in the second act of a SOPRANOS episode without ever really understanding what’s happening.

47 Likes

Sooner or later the truth comes out …

6 Likes

He’s concerned about having to tell the truth under oath. He’s Fredo.

30 Likes

Hell effing yeah he better be worried……
“Do you sweat to tell the truth…?”
Hell effing yeah he better be worried.

8 Likes

It’ll be later here in TPM with these slow-loading comments. This sucks.

10 Likes

In the rare event that T**** ever appeared, his “testimony” would be so full of lies, bullshit, and self-praise as to only serve as fodder for late night TV comedians.

11 Likes

The GOP is a Sack of Shit! I worry that it doesn’t matter.

8 Likes

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth would make Kevin go up in smoke like a vampire caught in sunlight. I sense a case of amnesia coming on.

20 Likes

He’s more disposable than Fredo.

13 Likes

How ‘bout any time McCarthy sits down for an interview, the first question asked is what his conversation withTrump was. If he doesn’t answer, end the interview.

Of course that won’t happen, but just thinking about it highlights the media’s role in memory-holing the insurrection and the GOP’s complicity.

29 Likes

“My conversations with the President are my conversations with the President,”

Does he ever listen to himself?

20 Likes

Why is he worried? Barring a recording of the call he’s unaware of he can lie about whatever was said, it’s his word against Trump’s. And if Trump is talking he’s lying, he has no credibility. Plus, it’s in both their best interests to paint the call in as an innocuous light as possible. Support Trump, lie to Congress, accuse the commission of making much ado about nothing.

4 Likes

This explains better why Kevin McCarthy has so thoroughly turned on Liz Cheney for supporting an independent 1/6 Commission.

He’s not trying to preserve his party…he’s trying to save his own ass.

43 Likes

Coward.

7 Likes

He’s afraid of the Trump-versus-perjury trap. Unlike 5 months ago, it’s a Dem-controlled Congress, at least for the moment.

5 Likes

Well, I guess this 'bipartisan idea is out the window.
It’s hard to get folks to agree to an investigation into crimes in which you are complicit.
Unless they’ve got someone like Rod Rosenstein running the affair. After all’s said and done, he’ll, “…land the plane for you.”

11 Likes

I agree, they both have an interest in saying it was innocuous or saying they don’t remember. So the key is whether there is any recording or other people in the room with either of them that might contradict that story.

5 Likes

For some reason I want to say that there are some GOP back-benchers who were privy to the call, and that’s how we have the report on it. It may have been on speaker phone, or perhaps The Don speaks loud enough on the phone that he could be heard. I can imagine McCarthy having it on speaker so that he could share the moment of salvation with his underlings.
Either way, I bet the back-benchers are not in favor of testifying either.

26 Likes

For 50 fucking years, Democrats cowered before the threat “No More George McGoverns!” Let’s see the repugs hide and cringe for a century before “No More Trumps!”

16 Likes