Report: Lawmakers Were Not Informed About Police Request For Backup Ahead Of Capitol Attack | Talking Points Memo

The book is really good, but actually THE TRUE STORY OF BLACKHAWK DOWN (released after the movie, which was a very exciting round of horrible Ridley Scott “Kill the Skinnies!” bullshit) makes it clearer. And the film does capture how terrifying combat must be–especially when you’re an outsider engaged in “counterinsurgency”.

That’s what makes Eugene Goodman (Black capitol cop who diverted rioters away from hiding congresspersons) so remarkable: he saw the threat coming, assessed how to divert it, and, as a Black friend on Twitter put it, literally used his “blackness” to redirect those assholes.

No surprise that he’s ex-101st Airborne, with a year in-country in Iraq, and the Combat Infantryman badge–which means he saw combat. I sure hope the proposal to award him the Congressional Gold Medal, for his conspicuous heroism, is successful.

23 Likes

When the black helicopters come for you…

2 Likes

Tell me more. No, really, tell me more…please?

ETA: But to be fair, 2 weeks is an entire infrastructure and healthcare plan duration of time. Congrats?

15 Likes

The directors do have some time on their hands these days. Guess I was right about these last four years just being a reality show filmed by Netflix.

4 Likes

A LOT of folks in charge seemed to be in a “let’s see how this plays out before we respond” mode.

It took Northam the gov. of Virginia, calling out his Nat. Guard to break the spell. After his announcement the WH released an competing announcement basically saying " NO WE called out the Nat. Guard."

11 Likes

From Washington Post Jan 10 article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-capitol-siege/2021/01/09/e3ad3274-5283-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

Interesting that Stenger mentions retiring LAST week. Did he see this coming and didn’t take steps?

Stenger could not muster much of an answer, practically inaudible as he dispiritedly debriefed the senators. “He was talking in circles,” Graham thought to himself.

Sen. Joe Manchin III, D-W.Va., called Stenger’s attempt to field that question “absolutely pathetic” and further reduced confidence in the room. As Graham pressed for a better explanation, Stenger’s voice got weaker and smaller.

“Here’s your mission: Take back the Senate,” Graham told Stenger. “Whatever you need to do, do it. We’re not leaving this place. We’re not going to be run out by a mob.”

Finally, the Senate sergeant at arms sat down amid the others in the room, saying to no one in particular: “I wish I had just retired last week.”

7 Likes

Yup. Because he called them up under State authority, which the Feds can’t block.

Once they realized that they couldn’t stop the NG from showing up regardless (they were blocking the fed deployment of NG troops), the dam broke and they pretended it was all one big innocent misunderstanding.

12 Likes

I first read about that a couple of days ago, then it went silent.

So I figured the silence meant one of two things: 1) they figured out it wasn’t her mom or 2) they are fairly certain it is and have clamped down on the story while collecting evidence.

Guess we’ll be finding out sooń enough.

5 Likes

…Or they’re preparing to implement MyPillowGuy’s plans for martial law, take control of the National Guard in D.C., order them to arrest Pelosi, Schumer and other key Dems on accusations of instigating the insurrection with seeded AntiFa in the crowd…

3 Likes

Bowden’s a good writer, I’m not saying otherwise, I just think he got a little bit into the weeds in the beginning and it put me off.

You can’t say enough about what Goodman did. He used his strengths and weaknesses together, challenged the lead idiot personally with that chest push, and prevailed in the diciest possible circumstances that you could never possibly train for.

4 Likes

Five Dems now with Covid-19.

12 Likes

Manchin taking no prisoners.

19 Likes

Geo-fencing warrant. Do you know where your cellphone has been, traitors? You better go ask it.

20 Likes

So the reason we are not hearing about Republicans getting COVID after the seige is that they are not publicizing it? I mean, they must have been exposed too, and not all of them has already had it.

10 Likes

Michael Stenger of the Senate and Paul Irving of the House, who have since resigned, rejected the request without raising the issue.

sometimes when things need to get done, especially in this case.
All they had to say was that there is 5000 BLM protesters coming. not true of course.
then Suddenly POOF, there would have been 10000 NG troops there immediately

6 Likes

This is good to see. Now the same should apply to Cruz.

2 Likes

That’s my bet. They’re too chicken-shit to come forward, or worse, they’re ignoring the symptoms and congregating with colleagues anyway. These are some spiteful assholes we’re dealing with and no perfidy would surprise me.

13 Likes

I am so glad that I “borrowed” @rucleare’s phone that day.

Thought it might pay to be inconspicuous and leave my own back at the apartment.

8 Likes

HUUUGE crowd.

15 Likes

Well, Pillow Guy has been in tete-a-tetes with Lin Wood and Sidney Powell who stand ready to throw off their disguise as clownish loons and reveal their true diabolical cleverness. Also our new insect overlords, to whom the administration plans to sell us as slaves, are waiting for the attack signal in a gigantic interstellar battle cruiser hiding behind the moon. It’s all going according to plan.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available