Report: Lawmakers Were Not Informed About Police Request For Backup Ahead Of Capitol Attack | Talking Points Memo

Capitol security officials failed to inform House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) ahead of last week’s attack that the Capitol Police had warned they might need reinforcement from the National Guard, according to a report from The New York Times.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355033
1 Like

Of course they weren’t. Warning your victim(s) in advance kind of ruins a surprise attack. Needless to say, it also diminishes the terror quotient substantially.

24 Likes

Completely in line for a GOP Trump Impeachment acquittal, yes?

Because BothSidesUnityMoveOnBeatingDeadHorsePatriots, yes?

21 Likes

This conspiracy is starting to sprout numerous legs.

21 Likes

“Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO) who was briefed on the security matter by Army secretary Ryan McCarthy also told the publication that the Defense Department’s additional attempts to bolster security with National Guard support were rebuffed as both the Metropolitan Police and the Capitol Police said no additional resources were needed.”

I think they got the right man in place to get to the bottom of all this BS. And he is mad as hell that this happened.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/national/capitol-riots/russell-honore-lead-capitol-riot-investigation-speaker-pelosi/65-2fcee843-bebd-4bea-9a41-ebae361d2e69

27 Likes

Were said sergeants-at-leisure also responsible for okaying capitol tours during covid?

24 Likes

Two arms & nary a brain between them.

10 Likes

The general trend toward (a) militarizing police forces; (b) no longer requiring that cops live in the districts they patrol; © lowering entrance standards and expectations; and (d) empowering police unions as bastions of defensive/anti-reform conservatism means that entirely too many police forces have an Us-v-Them, “wolves protecting sheep,” Punisher-style vision of themselves.

@SkinnerPM on Twitter, ex-CG, -CIA, -armed forces, is now a local cop in his home town of Savannah, and he’s a smart and articulate critic of all four of the above deteriorating trends. Worth a follow.

27 Likes

Maybe best leave optics and political calls to the politicians. People do make mistakes, and sometimes they are very big mistakes. In this case they mistook armed crazies who wanted to overturn the government with your standard issue peaceful BLM and pussyhat protesters. Hindsight is always 20-20 - maybe this particular error won’t be made again?

@pine - Crow impressed me in his interview last night. Most of these Dems that are coming to the forefront are not lightweights - kind of thrilling to see those young faces kicking ass and taking names.

20 Likes

Catastrophic failure of intelligence, incompetence, or something more sinister? I have great confidence Lt. General Honore will get to the bottom of it all.

12 Likes

Was it malice or was it incompetence? It doesn’t matter, the outcome would have been the same.

Weaponized incompetence.

ETA and PS: Many problems are complex so the notion of competence as not making mistakes should probably be modified as also being prepared for the possibility of error and developing a context in which mistakes can be dealt with. The signature of TrumPublicanism is not only a failure to appropriately plan and execute but a failure to admit screwing up never mind establishing a corrective regime for its cure. I am aware of no evidence (thus far) that the Sargents at Arms or Capital Police commander might have overt Trump sympathizers but I have little doubt (thus far) they were/are TrumPublicans in spirit.

13 Likes

Miscellany:

Jumping the gun.

My bet, O’Brien called Javanka in to talk Trump out of doing something really stupid. Or it’s another plot to get free pillows.

ETA

24 Likes

My guess is Using Presidential Toys to frustrate, enrage and worry the Rest of Us.

10 Likes

This clarifies why all three were kicked out immediately. For cause, not merely for show.

7 Likes

General Honoré is an official bad ass.

10 Likes

Holy shit IF true.

23 Likes

I remember reading it was the Army that found the optics of the Guard at the Capitol distasteful and delayed deployment. Now it’s the sergeants? Not good to see stories changing this way. Of course in any organization people’s first shaky attempts to shift blame for a big mess can happen without any conspiracies, but it doesn’t build confidence at all.

16 Likes

A guy name Piatt (e) I believe was the name from DoD.

Edit: not sure how the name was spelled

The HBO miniseries, which is sure to come, is going to have a bigger cast and more complicated plot twists than Game of Thrones.

17 Likes

I’m skeptical of that only because I don’t think it proves much of anything. I’m sure Boebert mère is a freak like her daughter but laying one face over another and declaring it’s identical—nah.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available