Report: Lawmakers Were Not Informed About Police Request For Backup Ahead Of Capitol Attack | Talking Points Memo

POWERFUL!!! (Go away DiscoBot. This is a complete sentence!)

Dem’s fightin’ words fo’ Manchin.

2 Likes

Has anyone tested if saying Discobot three times in a row will banish him forever?

Or does it have to be a critical mass of respondents?

1 Like

She gave directions. Most of these goobers didn’t think it through.

If you look and act like you are in charge, it is amazing how many folks will go along with it - grateful for some direction.

1 Like

I couldn’t find my ruby slippers.

1 Like

Wait a minute… There was an episode in which Bobby Ewing stepped out of the shower??? And I missed it?!?

Damn. I must have been scrambling to write a term paper that night.

1 Like

Alistair MacLean was my favorite author when I was a teen. I read all of his books. Wonderful stuff. I also really liked Jean Plaidy’s historical novels - read most of them too.

1 Like

Yes in that time before the internet and Youtube, when one had to wait for summer re-runs to catch up with what you missed.

1 Like

Yes but who is the authorized requestor? Hogan had NG troop positioned at the state line, along with state troopers.
There was a call between Pence and the Secretary of the Army, and I think the Secretary was the one who called Pence.
So if NG can’t be deployed until requested, who can make the request? From what I watched on the news programs Trump was sulking/engrossed with the TV coverage. Several aides and former aides tried to get him to make the call, but he didn’t.
And this being the government if Trump had been overseas then Pence is the one to make the call. So I guess the adults in DC pretended that he was unavailable.

Rats! As in we’re in the year of the rat, and how many times recently have former Trump administration folk jumped ship?

1 Like

Skinner seems like an amazing man. And he has a menagerie of great mean cats.

2 Likes

Does it make sense that the NSA and the FBI can use our cell phones to track every move we make and can access every phone call we place or receive and nobody saw this coming? The vast expansion of the surveillance state missed this? Nobody was tracking the Michigan militias after their egregious behavior?

Just asking.

1 Like

One Ragin’ Cajun inbound.

They didn’t even mention it on the evening news in the T.C. Bet they were crushed!

I’ll give a short answer, and expand a little for those who will see this as TLDNR.

No, but our society doesn’t promote people who try to prevent disasters.

You had several things going on; A rally of white extremists, stochastic terrorism, decreased inhibition in a mob, and most damning from my perspective a culture that does not reward the prevention of disasters.

The white extremist risk should have been obvious, they start out angry and it only seems to ramp up from there. The stochastic terror was a risk considering the inflammatory language trump always uses. Those first two elements should have told you that the risks were higher for violence and where it would be directed, probably a lot of the people there wouldn’t have gone to the extremes they went to normally but you had a mob and it only takes the first violent outbreak to get the show on the road.

I’ve been expecting something like this since the invasion of the Michigan capital. Consequence free lawbreaking really does lead to more of the same. It’s funny that the broken window policing crowd isn’t as fond of having the same logic applied to themselves. As I said though the most profound part of the problem is cultural. I can document 5 cases where I told executive management a disaster was coming. I couldn’t say when, so it could be ignored and kicked down the road. Until the disaster happened. I must tell you that providing all the documentation of I told you so really didn’t help my career.

As an easy example the success of Y2K prep is almost a poster child. People say it was a non-event. And that’s true because lots of people spent lots of time testing software and hardware for failure modes. Most of the managers of those projects were women, and when we were done it was a non-event. Except for one group who basically told us we were wasting money. 1 guess which group had the failure. Bonus points for which manager got promoted for rapid response to the failure. Extra credit if you can guess the sex of the group that failed, but still got kudos.

2 Likes

Short but cogent.

Pretty much hilarious.

Plus I especially appreciated your note on gender effects and gender bias.

Thanks very much.

3 Likes

Tack så mycket.

Some of us saw it coming when we disagreed with the creation of Homeland Security and the overreach of spying on American citizens. I recall having a discussion with my daughter,who was in the Army at the time, whose husband, also in the Army and in Iraq, about the monitoring of phone calls. When our perceived freedoms drip slowly down the drain in the name of security we need to pay attention. It’s past time to take our responsibilities as citizens seriously. The most important being our vote (voice). Which the gop insists on attacking and destroying.

2 Likes

Once again, hubris kills. 911 evidently did not remove that virus from law enforcement. Question, was Homeland Security informed and if so what was their reaction?

it is very obvious that the federal government under donnie decided it would coast through his term and avoid any and all decisions that may go counter to the Manchurian Canteloupe. https://www.npr.org/2021/01/13/956359496/why-didnt-the-fbi-and-dhs-produce-a-threat-report-ahead-of-the-capitol-insurrect

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available