READ: House Sues To Enforce McGahn Subpoena For Testimony, Docs | Talking Points Memo

The House Judiciary Committee filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to enforce a subpoena it issued to former White House counsel Don McGahn.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1241188

Would Trump’s ego ever allow him to follow Nixon’s path and resign rather than being impeached?

5 Likes

No.

Next Question?

12 Likes

Staff stays on task while Reps are in recess. This is good.

17 Likes

If you read the footnote on the signature page, it appears that the summer interns wrote the complaint.

5 Likes

Ok

Those were law clerks and legal assistants to the Office of General Counsel, not House summer interns.

7 Likes

This is a good thing.

I’m smiling.

16 Likes

Bout time.

6 Likes

Off-topic but important:

37 Likes

Highly doubtful.

3 Likes

I don’t read it that way. There are 5 or 6 lawyers on the signature line, and acknowledgement of 5 or so more law clerks, assistants, etc. But even if it was the student from Yale Law School who drafted the Complaint, she did a great job!

6 Likes

“If there’s anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot, NOW!” – Zaphod Trump

(Apologies to Douglas Adams)

12 Likes

This is good news.

14 Likes

They say good help is hard to find, but I bet competent folks lined up around the block for the privilege of terminating this orange monster’s reign of corruption and ruin.

Also: this is the best news I’ve heard all week.

11 Likes

I may be in the minority, but I believe we know but a fraction of the depth and breadth of Trump’s evil.

My “proof” is his unrelenting obstruction of every bit of information he can muster. That is not the M.O. of an innocent man. Nor a man up to normal public-servant mischief (Bill Clinton or Mark Sanford type shenanigans). No…This is the kind of evil done by a man who has been a criminal for at least 30+ years.

He’ll resign if what I think he is guilty of is brought out. No GOP Senator up for re-election would support such a man in an Impeachment trial no matter what Mitchie Moscow wants.

11 Likes

Resignation could be his greatest reality TV stunt of all time. He gets to start a civil war, claiming that the Dems made it impossible to do his job, and he gets too go back to his cocoon in 5th Avenue, sleeping late, lying in bed eating, staying physically above the fray, but Tweeting out treasonous messages to his followers to rise up.

The repubs would be stuck with a civil war which pits them against the “government” which I guess to them means “Democrats” and who knows which local law enforcement is on, I guess that will differ by state.

Donald would totally resign if not for those pesky immediate criminal charges he would face in NY. If he can squash all of that, he just might decide he had more power without the constraints of the presidency.

So, @tena, have we impeached the mother fucker yet?

2 Likes

“cough”. "Family is always embarrassing, isn’t it?":joy: -Ford Prefect

6 Likes

I’d hope he wouldn’t come back here, to NYC. Really, the only person who’d welcome him here is Letitia James.

6 Likes

The committee is trying to have it both ways — apparently, trying to set a precedent that establishes some kind of weird power to investigate possible impeachable offenses without actually invoking impeachment powers.

There is one stunning omission: the failure to mention Resolution 430, which specifically authorized Nadler to bring this case to court to compel McGahn to testify, and which was passed by the House as a whole. That resolution authorizes the exercise of “any and all necessary authority under Article I of the Constitution.” That includes impeachment, of course.

Additionally, the case is fairly limited – it requests that McGahn be compelled to testify only “to matters and information discussed in the Special Counsel’s Report and any other matters and information
over which executive privilege has been waived or is not asserted.”

1 Like