READ: DNI Grenell Unmasks Obama Officials, Including Biden, In Boon For Fever Swamps | Talking Points Memo

Acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell released the names of Obama officials supposedly involved in “unmasking” Michael Flynn, including former Vice President and Democratic candidate for President Joe Biden, in an example of the Trump administration using its broad intelligence powers to attack a political opponent.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1309030

40 Likes

Grenell made the decision to release the information along with Attorney General Bill Barr.

My Surprised face :neutral_face:

42 Likes

War with the truth has been on for some time now…

17 Likes

“Quick, Somebody! We need something to distract from over 80,000 lives lost in this country!”

49 Likes

They have absolutelly nothing on Obama or Biden… this is just for Deplorable consumption… which is all Trump cares about…the argument got destroyed leaving a Fox News host speechless…

54 Likes

Oh my, you mean the President of the United States requested confidential information from the FBI regarding the target of a criminal investigation against a high ranking former General who was suspected of colluding with Russian agents.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

52 Likes

“The names of American citizens in intelligence reports are typically redacted. High-ranking officials can ask for the names to be revealed.”
Does that mean high ranking officials can get the names in the Mueller Report that have been redacted? Asking for a friend.

34 Likes

This is the bank robber going back to the scene of the crime…so as to “get the goods”.

16 Likes

And so wouldn’t the next logical step, if they really do want to get to the bottom of “what the Obama administration did during the Russia investigation” appear to be to release the recordings of the conversations Flynn had with the Russians? I mean, after all - we’re after the truth here, right?

43 Likes

From Golding’s ‘Lord of the Flies’

“Which is better—to have rules and agree, or to hunt and kill?”

(Piggy, Chapter-Eleven)

Piggy, the only rationalist among the children, speaks these words to convince Jack and his hunters. He urges them to abide by the rule and arrange fire for their rescue. However, they are busy hunting and painting faces. Piggy believes that he can persuade them to abide by rules and stand by Ralph, as he is an elected leader.

“Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.”

(Chapter-Four)

Jack, the opponent of Ralph, speaks these words when going on hunting. He has gathered some sturdy and strong boys around him. He has asked them to paint their faces, as they are all hunters. These words are repeated as a slogan and as a provocation when they hunt pigs on that island. It indicates slow degeneration of their civilized manners. The word “blood” shows that the hunters will soon turn to kill their opponents, as they are learning to spill the blood.

13 Likes

And where the “bleep” was Grassley and Johnson when this happened?

How many investigations did they have in regards to this truly bizarre ad extrajudicial planned action to get paid money to kidnap an American Green Card holder?

And this

Seriously, this is just a distraction. If the WH can tell congress that it does not have the right to subpoena it and its officials in regards to the Russia investigation, then why would these prior officials be forced to testify? Is the only difference that those that are in the WH immune from subpoena? But when they get out they have to comply? I would ignore the subpoena, seriously, if they were to throw Biden in jail over refusing to answer to a subpoena during a pandemic, not to mention that the same priviledge that the WH has invoked “priviledged” conversations of the executive branch would still apply I think. Also, all of these hearings would lead to discussions of sources and methods thus this hearing would have to be in a smoke filled SCIF, which of course is exactly what Grassley, Johnson and Trumo want, so they can spin whatever comes from those hearings in the press for the Trump re-election campaign.

Something tells me there is absolutely collaboration between the GOP super PACs, the Trump re-election campaign and GOP congressman. Let’s see the muck!

20 Likes

Mike Flynn was working for Turkey and was arranging illicit conversations with Russia against US interests. He lied about those interactions. He pleaded guilty. He’s a traitor. Joe will go there and throw this back in Trump’s face if that’s how he wants to play this.

‘Obama spied on me’ was Trump’s first move to respond to the FBI investigation. It led to the Mueller investigation, tons of bad press, exposure of multiple crimes, and it cost the GOP the House in 2018. Have at it motherfuckers. I really would be glad to have that opportunity to revisit the Russia scandal and show that Trump was conspiring with Russians to undermine US elections and is a traitor.

77 Likes

“Look! A squirrel!”

24 Likes

So Dems need to ask that the reports be released as well. Silly to argue about who wanted to know a name that turned out to be Flynn without understanding the context.

“(US Person A) was reported by the Russian ambassador in a cable as a staunch supporter of US interests.”

or

“(US Person A) was heard in a telephone conversation with the Russian ambassador stating that Russia should not react to US Government sanctions because the President-elect will roll them back as thanks for Russian support during his election.”

Wonder which one it was that caused the US foreign policy leaders to look for that person’s name.

21 Likes

Oh great, now these random FBI agents are going to have their faces plastered everywhere, be targeted with death threats, and they’ll be on the verge of getting fired just because they were doing their jobs.

15 Likes

Flynn lied to Mueller, did he not? And Mueller brought charges. What does this have to do with the Obama Administration?

Flynn’s lies to the FBI came on the fourth day of the Trump Administration. That means Flynn lied to Trump’s FBI and Intelligence officials.

Republicans are ready to destroy the country for Putin.

26 Likes

“Today I received the shocking reply that @JoeBiden and many others knew!” Paul tweeted. “What did President Obama know?”

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

The GOP says a President can do whatever he wants – without any oversight or investigation.

I heard their mouthpieces argue just that to the Supreme Court yesterday!

56 Likes

This is the dumbest damn thing…the US intelligence community is supposed to look at any communications with foreign powers that are outside the normal channels of communications. That’s their job, to try to keep other nations from gathering intel and, perhaps, turning Americans against the nation. Investigating Flynn making calls to the Russians was normal, and him lying about it is a huge red flag.

How the Republicans think they can turn this into a good thing for their side is a complete mystery…sure, it will rev up the people who have read their propaganda, but is the average American going to think that lying about a discussion with the Russian ambassador is something that should be defended? If anything, it feeds into the idea that Trump and the Russians were/are working together, and that’s the last thing they should be calling attention to.

I don’t see what the strategy is here, aside from dividing the nation into a faction that follows only propaganda and one that follows facts. Or, they are fomenting enough hate to cause violence in the fall, giving a reason to cancel the election, or hoping for violence after Trump loses and an actual shooting war. It just boggles the mind how anyone could think this is a smart strategy to win an election.

31 Likes

Human scum in the Supreme Court, human scum in the Federal Reserve, human scum in the FBI, CIA and intelligence agencies.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available