Publishing House Bucks DeSantis And Offers Free Black Books to Florida Kids

A publishing company based in Chicago is offering free e-books on Black history in response to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ (R) rejection of an AP African American Studies course in Florida schools.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447469

DeSantis is cramming educational malpractice on Florida citizens.

15 Likes

Love it! Thank you Haymarket Books, and hopefully others will follow your lead.

22 Likes

DeSantis’s mug says thug. Short shelf life, I hope.

7 Likes

Nicely played, Haymarket Press! And Thank You!

16 Likes

DeSantis will empower his minions to pursue Haymarket for trafficking of ideas across state borders.

(There’s a Tom Paxton song called “The thought stayed free” that this called to mind)

12 Likes

I had a professor who reminded us often that “ideas don’t flow in pipes.” The Florida governor has no spigot by means of which to deny ideas to anyone.

15 Likes

Amazing what a reality TV star can set into motion…

5 Likes

The GOP is such a pile of shit. It’s what you’d get if shit took a shit, times infinity.

5 Likes

This is excellent new. Thank you Haymarket Books. It is the only news that got me to smile today.
Well done.

5 Likes

I was reading in the Miami Herald (?) this morning that Black History is a required subject to be taught in FL public schools. It became a requirement in the 90s. I believe it was because someone wrote about what really happened in Rosewood FL in 1923. The FL lege created a department in the FDOE, but only provided a budget of $100,000, and part of that money is for the salary of one and only staff member in the Dept.
I wonder if some of this is payback because he would had to take Black History in his final year(s) of HS?

7 Likes

This is why I stay calm when reading about DeSantis and his fascist, racist policies.

It’s over, you disgusting jerk. You just don’t know it yet.

We’re NOT going back.

13 Likes

OT. I heard an interview on NPR of a former Homeland Security employee.

The discussion was about the many threats to the power grid. The interviewee said there were far
left and far right people who were the ones who attacked the grid. I tried to find any on the left and could find only those on the right. Has anyone heard of those on the left going after power grids? Thanks.

7 Likes

Who was it? Did NPR provide the who, what, when, where? We know the why.

The MSM is failing miserably. I see the interviews and the news stories and they fail to provide any relevant information all the time.

1 Like

I would guess that one of the right-wing perpetrators was left-handed, and in typical Republican practice, he morphed into a left wing terrorist in the Republican PR distortive disinformation machine.

DeSantis is Trump with an Iron Cross.

1 Like

Just like the Legislatures in so many states are practicing Medicine without Licenses.

9 Likes

Ideas just drive the righties nuts!

3 Likes

DeSantis is long, long overdue for a proper comeuppance.

11 Likes

I haven’t, but I have a guess as to where these ideas come from: someone found a positive reference to something associated with Democrats, however vaguely, on a Facebook post, thus rendering the (would-be) domestic terrorist a “Leftist.”

Which is stupid, because Leftist domestic terrorists concentrate on blowing up mink farms and threatening the lives of anyone who does medical research with animals: you know, the truly important things that make a difference in our lives.

1 Like

Pic shows Prentice-Hall. I was like wow ballsy move for a mainstream mass market publisher. Then I’m like wait it wasn’t Prentice-Hall, just a stock image showing Prentice-Hall books which is lame.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available