Providers Stop Offering Abortions As Red States Pounce To Ban Procedure

With trigger laws banning abortions long waiting in the wings, abortion providers in red states are already, hours after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, being forced to stop offering the procedure. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1421535
1 Like

Very sad day
It’s more than abortion, its is about privacy and a persons control over their own body that the state now says is theirs alone. And that is so very very wrong.
Inherent in the language of the ruling is a pathway to destroying other freedoms as Clarence Thomas said himself. He is looking forward to destroying the Bill of Rights.
Looking at his language below I do not think I am overstating what his intent is…

220624120814-20220624-hp-quote-justice-clarence-thomas-roe-v-wade-medium-tease

23 Likes

Indeed it is. Everyone knows I’m Canadian here but still I mourn for your country but specifically for everyone effected by this ridiculous decision. It’s frightening on so many levels to think of the repercussions.

15 Likes

SCOTUS really knows how to muck fuck up just like the Founders intended.

9 Likes

Do you suppose that Canada will be threatened with nuclear annihilation by some future Putin-like GOP president if you don’t ban abortions?

Seriously, I wonder when the zealotry is going to start affecting foreign policy. Seems to me, if I recall correctly, that there’s already UN programs we boycott because of the abortion obsession. What if we start threatening other NATO countries with withdrawal of support? I can see this happening. Zealots are never satisfied, never appeased until they have all their way and are in complete control. If I were head of a Euro nation, I wouldn’t trust us in the long term because of our inherently unstable political system where a Biden could be replaced with a Trump-like figure at the drop of a hat.

16 Likes

Excerpt:

Many abortion rights advocates suggested donating to abortion funds for just this reason. An increasingly popular method of supporting abortion-seekers, the funds provide monetary assistance to help pay for the procedure and other costs surrounding it. The National Network of Abortion Funds, which represents more than 80 such funds around the country, told The Daily Beast it had received $2 million in donations from 23,000 donors by Friday afternoon.

Other reproductive rights groups called on Congress to pass a law enshrining the right to an abortion nationwide, and asked the Biden administration to take whatever action it has available to shore up reproductive rights. Hagstrom Miller said Whole Woman’s Health is looking to open more clinics in states where abortion is protected and had asked the Biden administration for help in doing so.

For now, Hagstrom Miller said, their clinics in Virginia, Maryland, and Minnesota were still open and accepting patients.

“Whole Woman’s Health is here for you. We are not going away ever,” she said. “We will not stop fighting until our full rights and access to the care we all need has been fully restored.”

17 Likes

Next, an “underground railway?”

19 Likes

The dog caught the car he’d been chasing for 5 decades. Now what’s he gonna do with it?
I am positive the conservative wing of the Court feels energized and I fear for the other freedoms we take for granted. First to die is gonna be a right to privacy. Couples in their bedroom, privacy between a doctor and patient, and other forms of privacy. Look at the language of Thomas that I posted. Its much more than abortion the court is after. How about the 5th amendment self incrimination ban or freedom of the press or anyone’s speech or writings. Thomas is after all of it by his own words as I posted them. It could not be more serious.

14 Likes

Truthfully, I don’t see that happening unless, for instance in Canada’s case a super right wing party arose from the dust. Even our right wing Conservative party wouldn’t touch it. Reproductive rights for women are in their policy book. Canadians across the board would go crazy if they did.

Today Liberal leader Trudeau came out and spoke of his horror. Mind you, he’s not the guy most people think he is. He’s treated some women in his caucus very poorly. Personally, I think he’s a hypocrite but not a beast.

8 Likes

But look at the gas prices and all the brown people!

8 Likes

The sick irony is, Thomas was loudly caterwauling about his right to privacy during his confirmation hearings back in 1991.

Throughout his testimony when the Anita Hill allegations came to light, Thomas defended his right to privacy by making it clear that he was not going to put his personal life on display for public consumption, permit the committee (or anyone else) to probe his private life, or describe discussions that he may have had with others about his private life.

19 Likes

The sheriff election just got a whole ton more important. Here in grossly gerrymandered, rightist, rural WI, I have every confidence that Gov. Evers and AG Kaul will at worst, quietly manage to find some real criminals to catch, instead of enforcing this abortion shit from the 19th century.

Sheriffs who’re “second amendment sanctuary” twats, and who refused to enforce mask mandates, and who may have found other ways to tip their rightist hands in less publicized ways, should be considered all but guaranteed to roll SWAT and K9 units upon suspicion of illegal abortions being provided.

6 Likes

Surely you don’t mean that!?

Yes. She does.

8 Likes

Barack :thread::arrow_down:

https://barackobama.medium.com/my-statement-with-michelle-on-the-draft-supreme-court-decision-to-overturn-roe-v-wade-94c0ae0c541a

8 Likes

4B5259E5-1CD1-4823-8F2B-402C926954DB

4 Likes

S. King

15 Likes

Al Franken

20 Likes

There was one back before Roe.

As for MO, and specifically the St. Louis area where that last remaining abortion clinic is located, there are now two abortion clinics 10 minutes from downtown St. Louis on the IL side. 2019 was pivotal year for abortion restrictions in MO. Abortions here were down from a over 1000 a year to just over 100 a year in the past two years.
Not sure what is happening in the KC area, but anywhere in MO outside of St. Louis City/County is going to have to plan on driving several hours to IL.

8 Likes

Reverend Raphael Warnock

17 Likes

That’s the line my Congresswoman, big time anti abortion supporter, has been plastering the Twitter and FB universe today.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available