Prosecutors Build Towards The Stormy Daniels Hush-Money Scheme - TPM – Talking Points Memo

NEW YORK — Manhattan prosecutors teed up a key witness in Trump’s criminal trial on Tuesday to delve into the hush-money allegations that form the center of their case: concealed, and allegedly covered-up, payments to adult film star Stormy Daniels.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1486872

Trump has always looked haggard, but he is looking increasingly haggard. And old. And frightened. Comeuppance comes at a price.

37 Likes

ALL TRUMP ALL THE TIME

when will the fun ever stop??

spankers

And yes this cat liked his fat cat image.

“Cats and dogs living together!!!”

28 Likes

So Aug 2016 is late in an election timeline? When did the first early voting states start with voting?

3 Likes

Why is the entire National Enquirer scheme not one giant campaign finance violation? It seems that both Pecker and Trump should be in trouble for in kind campaign contributions that were never reported.

Not even addressing the captured stories that they paid to kill for Trump, every negative story published at the behest of Cohen was extremely valuable for the campaign too.

42 Likes

(checks notes)
If I recall correctly my mail-in ballot arrived in early October for that election. Pima County, AZ uses all paper ballots. Maricopa County where Phoenix is might have some electronic gizmos in the voting booth. My custom is to take my ballot to my County Recorder’s office and hand it off to a human. It’s too important to stick it in the mail and expect the post office not to “lose” it.

8 Likes

I was thinking in terms of Donnie getting the nomination, which was in July of 2016. So all this happened after the primaries. When they started this catch and kill they quashed the “illegitimate son” and Karen McDougal pre convention, and this was just for Stormy Daniels?
I mean it was too late for the GOP to nominate someone else.

9 Likes

One hopes the full bill comes due…

6 Likes

The bill usually gets paid.

3 Likes

Can someone refresh my memory on these questions?

• Dino the Doorman: $30K paid by Pecker/AMI - never reimbursed
  • Karen McDougal: $150K paid by Pecker/AMI ??? - never reimbursed???
  • Stormy Daniels: $130K paid by Cohen, reimbursed plus taxes and bonus vy Trump

Did Pecker not ask for reimbursement because he wanted to own the rights to Dino & McDougal? But he released them both from the NDAs after the election.

15 Likes

I agree but maybe it’s Freedom of the Press? Stinks to high heavens, but Fox News does basically the same collusion and gets away with it too.

13 Likes

Ya know, it has occured to me repeatedly through this trump saga … if it is this hard to get incarcerated for stealing classified documents, jsubverting our elections, creating fake electors and the rest of this multilayered putrid pond of illegality… I shoulda taken up a life of crime long long ago. I coulda been living the quite yet wealthy life in Granville, Normandy, France. But sadly no. Just an old retired scientist ensconced in Tucson. Sad innit?

32 Likes

I can’t bring myself to believe that no money was exchange for these “scoops”. Trump giving something to Pecker for free? Hard to believe.

5 Likes

It is. AMI and Pecker agreed to cooperate with the feds to avoid getting charged.

42 Likes

He didn’t. Stormy’s hush money was for an NDA, not a catch-and-kill for the Enquirer. Trump stiffed AMI on both catch-and-kills.

36 Likes

The chef’s kiss of this whole thing. No, make that one of the growing number of chef’s kisses in this thing.

16 Likes

Trump is nothing but consistent when money is in play.

14 Likes

Trump “stiffs” everything he can get away with it seems
Contractors building things for him
Stormy Daniels
Lawyers
Karen MacDougal
Mar-a-Lago employees
Just stiffs everybody
Cuz he’s a star & when yer a star they let ya do it. You can do anything. Even grab "em by the pu$$y

11 Likes

Take heart. At least you’re not being forced to sit up straight in a courtroom all day. TORTURE!

Your net worth is likely to be higher than Mr. Trump’s come this time next year.

And, it’s worth noting that the secret to stretching out the time before the full bill for consequences comes due involves having a good deal of wealth to start with… indeed, that makes certain “crimes” hardly crimes at all.

My mother used to tell me, when I was just a young boy: “Karl, never steal a loaf of bread, for that, they’ll put you under the jail. If you’re going to steal, steal a few million dollars, for that, they might not even press charges.”

32 Likes

Has there been any reporting to that effect? That AMI asked for reimbursement? The way I read Josh’s reports is that AMI “received” access to Trump and the campaign which was, I guess, worth as much or more to AMI as the actual cash.

My new question is, why didn’t Stormy’s NDA also go through AMI? Was Trump concerned that AMI wouldn’t let this one remain buried???

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available